Record Shops in Dublin (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 4

ron

Is there a list of Dublin record shops to be found on-line?
Laziness thy (me) name is.
Cheers.

Originally posted by ron
Cheers.

dunno about online, there's a list in the back of the event guide, plus there's only about 4 good record shops in dublin.

Theres a list of records, that are in a record shop in Dublin, on the net.
WWW.ROADRECS.COM
Probably one of the more decent ones.

Found a shop in cork a while back that kicks then shades of shite out of most of the dublin ones - can`t remember its name though:(
And this one in limerick which was`nt bad either at times -
H M something or other its called....

Originally posted by ron
Cheers.

Howya Laziness.

check out the last issue of The Slate

add City Discs to that list.
Final Vinyl though - worst filing system ever. Four times in twelve months have they been unable to locate the record when I present the inner sleeve on the counter.

pricks.

Bummer, Tower Records on Wicklow Street has to re-locate

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...es-way-for-swedish-fashion-retailer-1.1561586

Only weeks after confirming plans to open a major H&M fashion store in the former National Irish Bank on Dublin’s College Green, the Swedish group behind the project is gearing up to open its first Irish outlet for the upmarket COS fashion brand in the spacious premises currently occupied by Tower Records on Wicklow Street.

The latest project will come as a surprise to the Dublin fashion industry which has had to cope with the arrival of a string of big name traders in recent years.

The news of COS’s early foray into Dublin is all the more surprising because the company is currently preparing for a major launch in the United States next spring.

COS (collection of style) caters for both men and women and is noted for its high-end design and quality at an affordable price.

It has attracted a lot of international attention for reinventing classical fashions that are made to last. Its products are currently available though BT2 in Dundrum and Grafton Street.

COS will have an important advantage over other fashion houses opening in Dublin for the first time – a super location just off Grafton Street and opposite the side entrance to Brown Thomas, and an ideal store layout of around 743sq m (8,000sq ft) of retail space at ground and first floor levels.

The premises is owned by Clarendon, a company controlled by Paddy McKillen and Tony Leonard, who are also involved in the ownership of Tower Records.

There has been no indication of how much COS will be paying for its Dublin store but, even in the current difficult market, it is unlikely to be less than €500,000 per annum.

Clarendon is also the owner of the former National Irish Bank which is to be rented to H&M at a base rent of €800,000 with a turnover related top-up that could go as high as almost €700,000.

RelocationTower Records has been in negotiations for some time with owners Royal London to relocate to the former Waterstones’ book shop at the bottom of Dawson Street which has been closed since February, 2011.

Though a letting agreement has not yet been concluded, it is thought likely that Tower will relocate there in the coming weeks. The rent is likely to be in the region of €280,000.

Simon Cooper of Savills has been advising Clarendon on the lease of the Wicklow Street premises. CBRE acted for Royal London which previously traded as Royal Exchange.

COS (collection of style) caters for both men and women and is noted for its high-end design and quality at an affordable price.

It has attracted a lot of international attention for reinventing classical fashions that are made to last. Its products are currently available though BT2 in Dundrum and Grafton Street.

that's some hard-hitting journalism right there

It appeared to me on reading that Tower wants to relocate to Dawson St with cheaper rent and a bigger? premises... and that this lot will be the new tenant when they leave... not that Tower have to move to accommodate them.

Flitting between tower and freebird to compare prices will be a bit more of a nuisance now. GOD.

I'm Finding lately that Freebird is €1 cheaper than Tower on new releases.

The move to Dawson St is probably beter for Dawson St than it is for Tower. Footfall is definitely lower. It'll be nice to have somewhere to go before/ after Hodges Figgis though...

I'm Finding lately that Freebird is €1 cheaper than Tower on new releases.

The move to Dawson St is probably beter for Dawson St than it is for Tower. Footfall is definitely lower. It'll be nice to have somewhere to go before/ after Hodges Figgis though...

A typical trip to the shops for me starts with freebird/secret bookshop (mostly the bookshop tbh), tower, hodges figgis and finally to Fixx coffeehouse, with an additional stop in books upstairs if the wait for the bus is likely to last longer than about 6 minutes. M&S if i need to use the jakes along the way. Might go to easons and/or chapters if im on the northside. Rarely buy anything at all...

Last edited:
A typical trip to the shops for me starts with freebird/secret bookshop (mostly the bookshop tbh), tower, hodges figgis and finally to Fixx coffeehouse, with an additional stop in books upstairs if the wait for the bus is likely to last longer than about 6 minutes. M&S if i need to use the jakes along the way. Might go to easons and/or chapters if im on the northside.

That pretty much mirrors my Saturday! Except for Fixx coffeehouse. I've just looked it up - looks nice! Been going to Chapters a lot more frequently lately. Can almost always pick up something I want in the second-hand section. With nicer covers and half the price.

The move to Dawson St is probably beter for Dawson St than it is for Tower. Footfall is definitely lower.

My thoughts too. I can't remember the size of Waterstones (Hodges Figgis is my goto for books) but I wonder, is Waterstones too big for Tower?

Hopefully they paint the frontage with the trademark Tower yellow to make it stand out, Dawson Street isn't the sort of place you'd intentionally go to shop. They'll probably pull in a lot more tourists than usual though what with Nassau Street being the tour bus depot of the city centre.

My route

Off the bus at Eden Quay. Downstairs to Freebird.

Then go up to Henry Street. HMV and Our Price.

Into the Abbey Mall and Abbey Discs. Plus DTK.

Then the main Abbey Discs.

Over the ha'penny bridge and down to the Virgin Megastore.

Out of there, through the arch and Comet.

Then it's Trinity Records behind the Bankers.

Smile on George's Street.

Cut over to HMV on Grafton Street and Burger King for a feed.

And if I have time Hot Wax in Rathmines.

Will avoid Caroline's in Richmond Street as she's unpredictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back