Recommend me a book (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 2
oh and jane talking about flann o'brien recently reminded me of how great a fucking read "at swim two birds" is. if you want an insight into the irish condition dont be listening to joe duffy. be reading at swim two birds.

ci said:
Hmm, just thought.. snappy, american and 20th century... You ever read Don de Lillo? Check out White Noise, Libra, or The Names. I personally think the man is a legend.
have you read underworld? now thats a buke. de lillo is proly the most impressive decriptive writer i think i've ever read. nails it every time. underworld = 10/10. all these books i've read 3 or 4 years ago. and a great book feels like it has changed your life at the time. havent had 1 of those experiences in a long time. been studying too much technical bukes. i need to get stuck in to proper reading again soon. anyone here like kerouac? any girls here like keroauc?

Donkey OJ said:
any girls here like keroauc?

I do, but it's years since I read him. I've only read one DeLillo, which was The Body Artist (for bibliofemme) and I wasn't that impressed but I have heard very good things about Underworld. It's a bloody big book too!

The whole idea of certain writers, or maybe certain books, appealing more to men than women is interesting. I was talking to a chap at a party last weekend who reckoned I was the first woman he'd ever met who liked Michel Houellbecq's Atomised. Or maybe Houellbecq full-stop. A lot of people find him misogynistic but I think the writing (or Atomised anyway) really stands out.
We read it for bookclub and the other women HATED it, I thought it was great.

Just finished The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, which was deadly but depressing, now reading Crypto by Steven Levy, which is pretty cool so far. A lot less geeky than you'd think.

"the third policeman" by flann o'brien
"riddley walker" by russell hoban
"maldoror" by lautreamont

apologies if i have repeated myself, but these are absolutely stunning works

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back