Recommend me a book (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter MDR
  • Start date
  • Replies 64
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 2
oh and jane talking about flann o'brien recently reminded me of how great a fucking read "at swim two birds" is. if you want an insight into the irish condition dont be listening to joe duffy. be reading at swim two birds.

ci said:
Hmm, just thought.. snappy, american and 20th century... You ever read Don de Lillo? Check out White Noise, Libra, or The Names. I personally think the man is a legend.
have you read underworld? now thats a buke. de lillo is proly the most impressive decriptive writer i think i've ever read. nails it every time. underworld = 10/10. all these books i've read 3 or 4 years ago. and a great book feels like it has changed your life at the time. havent had 1 of those experiences in a long time. been studying too much technical bukes. i need to get stuck in to proper reading again soon. anyone here like kerouac? any girls here like keroauc?

Donkey OJ said:
any girls here like keroauc?

I do, but it's years since I read him. I've only read one DeLillo, which was The Body Artist (for bibliofemme) and I wasn't that impressed but I have heard very good things about Underworld. It's a bloody big book too!

The whole idea of certain writers, or maybe certain books, appealing more to men than women is interesting. I was talking to a chap at a party last weekend who reckoned I was the first woman he'd ever met who liked Michel Houellbecq's Atomised. Or maybe Houellbecq full-stop. A lot of people find him misogynistic but I think the writing (or Atomised anyway) really stands out.
We read it for bookclub and the other women HATED it, I thought it was great.

Just finished The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, which was deadly but depressing, now reading Crypto by Steven Levy, which is pretty cool so far. A lot less geeky than you'd think.

"the third policeman" by flann o'brien
"riddley walker" by russell hoban
"maldoror" by lautreamont

apologies if i have repeated myself, but these are absolutely stunning works

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back