d86270jrc6f.jpg

e81706hxvup.jpg

e95382gigot.jpg

g34677gvo26.jpg

g36347k65ma.jpg

h06891odbe4.jpg

g33114qfmrt.jpg

All on LP. Good good.

aye, the compilation CD is called Cheese Market, on Gruff Wit.
I'll rip it and stick it on sendspace or something

amusingly, itunes thinks it is by les dawson

Dawson were probably the linchpin of this "scene", as their guitarist/vocalist, Jer, was also the owner/operator of Gruff Wit (Scottish slang, don't ask) and a guy I was in regular touch with at the time. Weirdly enough, I fell out of touch with him in the mid '90s, only to have a friend tell me about 5 years back that Jer actually lived in Melbourne for about a year 'round 1997 or so. Huh?! Is this true? Can anyone verify this? I've got no idea what happened to the guy (he'd be in his mid '30s now) or his cluster of bands, but I can say for sure that Dawson - named after a teacher of his, apparently - released three fantastic albums: Barfmarket: You're Ontae Plums ('91), How To Follow So That Others Will Willingly Lead ('92) and Terminal Island ('93). Being a Scottish update on the "classic" Rough Trade sound, the three platters contain a smorgasboard of young-man angst, thousand-miles-an-hour twists and turns and, most of all, that awesomely lumbering, and occasionally funky, bass which sounds like it's been lifted from an old Birthday Party disc.

Barfmarket mostly comes across like a Gang of Four 33 on 78 - not a fuzz pedal in sight - though it's spliced up with what sounds like a DC Go-go band on 4-track, dance rhythms intact. It's got a zillion songs, all over in the blink of an eye, and they still sound great.

How To Follow... has always been the top-shelf Dawson outing for these ears. Housed in a spray-painted/hand-designed sleeve (oh, those were the days...) and containing a myriad inserts detailing everything from IRA terror to fox-hunting laws, it shows Dawson up to be the air-tight demolition unit they surely were. Crossing the boundaries of Boredoms-style noise, post-punk, Pop Group-style agit-rock, hip-hop and even African drum rhythms, it's their strongest legacy and statement. When the sampled "You don't give a fuck to be free" comes overhead, you're moving. With the more concise "rock" elements contained on the first side and the more "abstract" moments on the flip, it's divided up perfectly to complement each other. Later released as a twofer with their first album by God Is My Co-Pilot's Making of Americans label, there has to be copies of this long-deleted nugget laying around somewhere.

Dawson's swan song was '93's Terminal Island, a more dense and noisy affair, but certainly one still worth chasing down. With longer songs, walloping bass riffs and a guitar buzz that lays it on thick, TI twists and turns like the Boredoms ca. Pop Tatari, juices it up with some rants 'n' rhetoric and comes up trumps. You wouldn't want to start here, but if you've made the journey from A to B, then naturally you've got to finish it off with Terminal Island.

it's amazing - footage from the whiskey gig in 79 - about 25 minutes of the best shit ever - pat smear punching bouncers, then some audio tracks
then on second disc there's a cool 30/40 minute interview with don bolles talking about the history of the germs and some pictures

not really too much on it but that 25 minute footage is amazing
only seen shit youtube footage of taped off peoples tvs

you got the target video?

it's amazing - footage from the whiskey gig in 79 - about 25 minutes of the best shit ever - pat smear punching bouncers, then some audio tracks
then on second disc there's a cool 30/40 minute interview with don bolles talking about the history of the germs and some pictures

does he say that line about wanting a beer?

here, suburbia was 2 99 last week in hmv. poor suburbia. good enough only for the bargain bin.

I have that,it's a different cover to the one I have though. The Don Bolles interview is pretty bad,it's just him flicking through the book. I've never seen the Target stuff. It's probably on youtube though.

does he say that line about wanting a beer?

here, suburbia was 2 99 last week in hmv. poor suburbia. good enough only for the bargain bin.

it's different footage from the decline of western civilsation
but he requests a beer in this too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back