Re-covering vintage gear (1 Viewer)

Serpico

Website
www.conanbrophy.com
I've got a couple of pieces of old kit with that black fake-leather vinyl covering and they could really do with being re-covered. Anybody know anything about this? Where do you get the covering and what do you glue it with,etc? Any habberdashery experts on the home recording forum?

Would that be Tolex you are on about, the fake leathery material on Marshalls etc. Comes in different effects/colours. I've only got it on the web from such places as http://www.tube-town.net. Not exactly cheap plus postage.
You use that spray-on glue that comes in cans in Maplins or Peats, http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=26286, five squids.
Pretty easy to do for a cabinet anyways, line up the tolex beside your cabinet roughly cut to size (one long strip to cover the four sides of the cabinet) and then spray one side of cabinet (and underside of the tolex too for that side of the cabinet if you wish) and smooth the tolex over that side pressing out any airbubbles then spray the next side and press the next length of tolex against that side continuing around the whole cabinet as one lone strip. Tucking in as you go and snipping slits at the corners to tuck in the tolex to keep the corners neat.
Glue takes a few minutes to dry so you have a chance to adjust the tolex as you go, it wont harden instantly ruining your day. Glue does get everywhere but when you're finished you can rub off any stray spray marks on the outside of the tolex and its fine, leaves no stains/traces.

Wow, nice 1. Very helpful indeed. Now the decision is to keep these things looking like originals or bling them out with some leopard skin Tolex..|..|
Will post pics when I'm done (if I go with the leopard skin).

2224_0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back