Rare instruments (1 Viewer)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
So basically us humans have been making the same music for eons...just using different instruments for our arrangements, as they are invented...so what's next?

In this world of mass production it looks any new instruments are either gonna be electronic or variations on a guitar or piano...quicker learning curve n' all.

Anyone play any rare bizzarre instruments?

I played the bassoon when I was younger...rare-ish...and the spoons, of course.

I have a charango, but its not especially weird. Like a mandolin in a way or a ukelele (position) - ten strings in five sets of two, but the notes are arranged oddly. not like a guitar starting low and getting high. the highest and lowest strings are the octave apart set in the middle. sound lovely.

not really on-topic but i despirately want a hammer dulcimer.

Man, that looks hard...

Dulcimer_hands.jpg

or a cymbalum (as used by these legends:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
).

i'm planning on making a daxophone (apparently its not too difficult) which was invented by hans reichel (www.daxo.de). its like a load of wooden strips which are plucked, bowed or struck, attached to contact mics. he famousely based his instrument on the sonic range of the badger. it has an amazing sound. here is a short demonstration of it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I mess around on the accordion evey now and again, but I guess it's not all that rare.

plus i'm complete shit at it.

i have a piano accordian too - not a big full size one though and i cant play it but that hasnt stopped me playing gigs or recording with it. theres some sort of bagpipes/uillean pipes that a friend of my dads made in the attic at home and although ive tried and tried i cant get any sound at all to come out of it/them. i think they might be broken... i used to sometimes sellotape a tin whistle and harmonica to my electric kazoo and play it through effects and shit - was grand. my favorite yoke (apart from my acoustic gtr maybe) is the chord organ i got for €25 at that market on the corner of dorest st and NCR a few years ago. its like this one:
magnus.jpg

I have a piano accordion that my ma bought me when I was 11. It was good value for money. I still use it. Problem is it's so loud. I got a lapharp off my gf but I've yet to learn to play it.

Love to get a full piano accordian but they're crazy money

Mine's a piano accordion - I got it off some guy who lived in the middle of nowhere, and he had literally hundreds of accordions lining the halls of his house. AFAIK his wife died in a fire or something a couple of years ago, and he just went crazy with collecting the accordions... It was pretty mental, but he sold me it for £150 which was a pretty good deal.

Made an attempt at playing tabla for about 8 years. Had a few teachers and spent two years practicing 8-12 hours a day. Have about six sets. Play only about 20 a week now. Had to stop as it was doing my head in. Hope to go back to it in the future, but takes an incredible amount of dedication.
Hammer dulcimer and santoor are the same thing. Santoor is just the Indian name for it. The Indians play a few Western instruments in classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back