Question (1 Viewer)

travispickle

I've been enjoying lots of Sonic Youth live footage online lately and really like Steve Shelley's drum set up. I found this page listing his drum gear over the years. Scroll down for some pics of his gear circa 2006 onwards. There's a mention of a device called a "thumper", which he has attached to his drum stool (shown in Pic one). Says that it "thumps" his drum stool every time he hits his bass drum. Anyone know what the hell thats about??????
:confused:
oh here's the link:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/steve.html

I think it might be this -
http://www.thomann.de/ie/fischer_amps_buttkicker.htm

it attaches on to the drum stool and the signal from the bass drum is put thru it, so the drummer gets a "kick" in the arse every time he hits the bass drum !, - Larry Mullen uses one, - apparently !

Cheers Derrick. Well Larry could do with a kick in the arse to be fair - but I still don't understand!! What's it for?????? Surely you know when you're hitting the bass drum!!! Does it aid performance???? Do I even really care????

Well - i ain't a drummer-so i don't know - but, i think its something to do with "feel" - ??? - but seems like an awful lot of expense to go to for just a kick in the arse - it would be different if there was "one for everyone in the audience" as gaybo would put it !

If any drummers want me to stand behind them and kick them in the arse while they are playing I'd be up for that. My timing is pretty good too.

I've been enjoying lots of Sonic Youth live footage online lately and really like Steve Shelley's drum set up. I found this page listing his drum gear over the years. Scroll down for some pics of his gear circa 2006 onwards. There's a mention of a device called a "thumper", which he has attached to his drum stool (shown in Pic one). Says that it "thumps" his drum stool every time he hits his bass drum. Anyone know what the hell thats about??????
:confused:
oh here's the link:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/steve.html
-Then again maybe it is someone from this forum (hugh?) indeed,- kicking him in the arse ??

Its nice to feel it. When i play roisin dubh i always put the 2x15 drum fill against my back & get the engineer to gimme as much kick as possible. Feels lovely! :)

I cant imagine the 9v battery model of the buttshaker is up to much considering you need a power amp for the more expensive one. Id like to try it though.

Yeah, I find when wearing earplugs while playing the kick seems to quieten down way more than the other drums and I suppose can be a bit off putting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back