Punk band uses photo of dead cop for album cover (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 37
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 2

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
They even dedicated part of one of the songs to the guy who killed him. Haven't been able to find the cover online but here's a press blurb.

A Tucson punk band called the Awful Truth has outraged local police after using a photo of slain police officer Erik Hite to illustrate the cover of their latest album, Kill a Cop For God.

According to a story in the Arizona Daily Star, the cover shot, which shows Hite lying wounded on the ground, is a Daily Star news photo used without permission.

The album includes a tribute to "cop killers," mentioning John Montenegro Cruz, who killed Tucson police officer Patrick Hardesty in 2003, and David Delich, Hite's accused killer.

The band's lead singer David Stine told the Star, "It's a pretty serious picture, and the topic itself is, too. It's really dark humor, and as much as anybody else, we don't particularly like cops, so we made a song about it."
The singer also said he does not apologize to anyone it may have offended.

That would include the police.

As Tucson Police Capt. Clayton Kidd asked in the Daily Star, "What part of an officer giving his life is humorous? I ask for the community's support in recognizing this is an absolute disgrace to Officer Hite, who gave his life defending out community. While they may have certain beliefs that they want to express, the venue in which they expressed it is disgusting and I'm outraged."

A Tucson punk band called the Awful Truth has outraged local police after using a photo of slain police officer Erik Hite to illustrate the cover of their latest album, Kill a Cop For God.

Christ, that's bad taste.

Politics aside.

Dollar Bar : again the vocalist reminds me of early Jello 8/10
Damon Shot : 7/10
Master Betty : 8/10 Vocals are a cross between Leonard Graves Phillips and Jello.
I killed Mommy : 8/10
Hey Dumbass : 6/10 The backing vocals like other songs is their achilles heel IMO.
The Governors son : reminds me of early DKs Fresh fruit 9/10

As the Punk "sound" goes, this band I could listen too.
The ads b4 the news report was the main culprit IMO. :p

Ach, that is not particularly bad in comparison to what a nice bunch of Italian guys from a band used for their tee.

the cops of the world should do a compilation commemorating their bravest officers, with a picture of rodney king trying to shield his head from batons on the cover. LA would finally be a write-off.

MussoliniSemi-Profile.jpg

What's wrong with that?

Cormac, your name is on the blacklist, just under Barney. You will receive notification in the shape of the head of an equine within the week. Thank you.

There's been worse.
Dystopia have a dead US Marine being dragged along a road by a mob in Somalia.
Fastard had some guy who crashed his car, went through the windscreen and lying
dead on his bonnet.
Brujeria had a half rotted decapitated head being held up for the camera.
The best by far was Mayhem who had a photo of their own singer as the cover of their
live album - he had slit his wrists and then shot himself in the head.
I can't think of any more off hand, but bad taste goes hand in hand with punk and
metal!

Ha! Didn't pick up on the local cop thing.
Fucking idiots, they're marked for life now.
But, but, but... it's punk!

Any punk bands here use Gerry McCabe for their demo covers?

the best thing about ruining your reputation in a small town is that you can move far away with no regrets.

(well, i know tucson isn't a small town, but on the american scale)

There's been tonnes of bands that have used shock images, I think the main point here is the fact that it's a local cop that's on the cover. Same thing would happen if I used a Gerry McCabe death photo on a cover (not only live in Limerick but I live in the village he was shot in). Instant credibility!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back