Pubs that do grub and aren't full of knobs (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
We're going to try to book out a section of a pub for Friday night, so that people who have come in from out of town, or who will be arriving that evening can drop in for a drink or some grub, and we're trying to think of a good spot. Lots of places have crummy booking policies that suck, or they get really packed and play crazy loud music and stink.

Any idea where we can get a place in the city centre where they won't laugh at us just for asking? Or have a stupid booking policy that doesn't suit us? Or make you pay for sit-down meals for everyone, since not everyone's gonna want it? Or say they serve food but only do toasted sandwiches?

Most places seem to be pretty inflexible, or charge an arm and a leg. And really we just want it to be a place where people can drop in if they want. The Market Bar, last I checked, had the stupidest booking policy on earth, which involves everyone HAVING to be on time and having a minimum spend, which is lame. It's like they don't realise that big groups *always* spend more, so they have to punish you, rather than realise they're getting good business. Basically, it's people paying for themselves, and a lot of places won't let you do it that way.

I'd prefer a place that didn't play stupidly loud music, obviously. and that isn't full of knobs. Do these places even exist in Dublin?

We're going to look into the Harbourmaster, the Clarendon (though I doubt it), Solas, the Schoolhouse Inn, and the bar in the Fitzwilliam. We could be shit out of luck, though.

Any recommendations?

We're going to try to book out a section of a pub for Friday night, so that people who have come in from out of town, or who will be arriving that evening can drop in for a drink or some grub, and we're trying to think of a good spot. Lots of places have crummy booking policies that suck, or they get really packed and play crazy loud music and stink.

Any idea where we can get a place in the city centre where they won't laugh at us just for asking? Or have a stupid booking policy that doesn't suit us? Or make you pay for sit-down meals for everyone, since not everyone's gonna want it? Or say they serve food but only do toasted sandwiches?

Most places seem to be pretty inflexible, or charge an arm and a leg. And really we just want it to be a place where people can drop in if they want. The Market Bar, last I checked, had the stupidest booking policy on earth, which involves everyone HAVING to be on time and having a minimum spend, which is lame. It's like they don't realise that big groups *always* spend more, so they have to punish you, rather than realise they're getting good business. Basically, it's people paying for themselves, and a lot of places won't let you do it that way.

I'd prefer a place that didn't play stupidly loud music, obviously. and that isn't full of knobs. Do these places even exist in Dublin?

We're going to look into the Harbourmaster, the Clarendon (though I doubt it), Solas, the Schoolhouse Inn, and the bar in the Fitzwilliam. We could be shit out of luck, though.

Any recommendations?

The Harbourmaster would be a good choice, except Fridays is knobfest because of its location.
It is a great get-together spot on Saturdays and Sundays though.

For the pint/grub combination, I also try The Bank on Dame St.
Not sure how they are with groups though.

The FXB place (some manner of tan name) up near the Lord Edward looks like it might fit the bill but I have never eaten there.

Apologies for being fuck all help.

The FXB place (some manner of tan name) up near the Lord Edward looks like it might fit the bill but I have never eaten there.

Apologies for being fuck all help.

I was actually thinking of this because we could move everyone on to the Lord Edward eventually, and they'd get to see the GREATEST PUB IN ALL THE LAND. Plus, we're staying at a place in Temple Bar, and can just stumble home to our fancy gaff. AND it's central, so people can find it. It's also a good opportunity to show people where the church is, since we can just drunkenly point out the window and slur, "GDAHARARHCATAT".

But again, I'm not sure if you can do a pub booking, where you just book out a corner of the place. A lot of these places want you to choose between a set sit-down menu for the group or just a corner where you can only have boozes.

Thanks , dude! HAdn't thought of the Bank. Think a lot of places that are cool on a Saturday because they cater to the work crowd are generally knobfests on a friday because they're catering to people who drink straight after work and are locked and ignorant by 8.

I was actually thinking of this because we could move everyone on to the Lord Edward eventually, and they'd get to see the GREATEST PUB IN ALL THE LAND. Plus, we're staying at a place in Temple Bar, and can just stumble home to our fancy gaff. AND it's central, so people can find it. It's also a good opportunity to show people where the church is, since we can just drunkenly point out the window and slur, "GDAHARARHCATAT".

But again, I'm not sure if you can do a pub booking, where you just book out a corner of the place. A lot of these places want you to choose between a set sit-down menu for the group or just a corner where you can only have boozes.

Thanks , dude! HAdn't thought of the Bank. Think a lot of places that are cool on a Saturday because they cater to the work crowd are generally knobfests on a friday because they're catering to people who drink straight after work and are locked and ignorant by 8.

Very nice food, good fast service and a great selection of beers in the Bull and Castle too. I have seen sections 'reserved' in there so it may be worth checking out.

Didn't know it was that special a do.

Sub-prime rib anyone?

No, this is for the night before the wedding, so we can meet up with people and have a pint and a wee bit of grub before the day. A lot of them will be arriving at different times on Friday, and some will want to do their own thing, but we want to make ourselves available without having to force anyone to commit to a sit-down meal.

Had decent experiences in the past with both Samsara and Cafe en Seine, but both are absolutely guaranteed to be stuffed to the gills with knobs.

Samsara (used to) do amazing Thai platters.

Try the 51 on Haddington Road...just off Baggot st. Their platters are good and they have a good area in the back for groups. We often have work dos there. Actually they have a brilliant area upstairs as well.
Also the Baggot Inn is meant to be good - you can pour your own pint which can be a good laugh for some.

I don't rate that FXB place at all. Had one of the most hideous meals of my life in there - it was a work Xmas party thing, but still.

DON'T GO NEAR the Bank on Dame Street. We had a work lunch there last year and it was terrible. They stuck us upstairs in a cramped space, the food was dreadful, the service terrible and they overcharged us on the bill. AVOID at all costs.

How about O'Donoghue's on Suffolk Street?

That's a great idea. I'll call them now.

I think it's gonna be FXB. It's only across from the Lord Edward anyway, and it's really central, which means people can find it. It's also a handy way of showing our foreign guests:

1. Where the church is
2. That we really mean it when we point out that they might want to keep their wits about them in some parts of town.

That's a great idea. I'll call them now.

I think it's gonna be FXB. It's only across from the Lord Edward anyway, and it's really central, which means people can find it. It's also a handy way of showing our foreign guests:

1. Where the church is
2. That we really mean it when we point out that they might want to keep their wits about them in some parts of town.
are you getting married in christchurch or something? to bono?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back