Pt. 2 Against His Will - Notes on the New Gay Predator (1 Viewer)

stunning said:
Why isn't the world horrified when a woman or a gay man are sexually assaulted...???

Society doesn't accept a woman saying "of course I killed him, he tried to rape me" but they accept that from a straight man.

i'm getting lost here but in real life i think any sexual assualt gets the same reaction from society. i don't know where you got the above attitudes from.

billygannon said:
The desire for conquest stems from an unhappiness with what you've got. That unhappiness should be addressed and not manifested physically through something like a beating or rape.

Billy, the desire and pursuit for conquest is our sad and violent history as the human race. It's ours dude, we have to own it if we're going to change it. Ignoring it won't cut the mustard.

Also...Beating and raping are different than fantasizing about it.

You've never watched a boxing match?

conor said:
i'm getting lost here but in real life i think any sexual assualt gets the same reaction from society. i don't know where you got the above attitudes from.

Conor, Sunshine, the article gives clear examples of society's reactions to sexual assualt. Please revisit said article. Part 1 first as that's where most of that discussion takes place...

I think its an issue that most haven't ever looked at before and its easy to say..."Oh yeah, rape is bad. We all hate rape whoever the victim is." Its much harder for each of us to look at our own feelings about rape, gender, power, sexuality, violence, economics, anal health, symbolism, blah, blah, blah...

I also want to say something about crimes of rape going unreported. There's a factor there... Many women don't report rape...it's often as horrible as the rape itself...yet, some areas (Dublin & Chicago) have support services in place to help a woman through the process of reporting, surviving and healing from rape. As there is a collective denial that male rape even happens, there are very, very few supports in place for a man who has to go to the police station and report that he has been raped.

T

stunning said:
of for fucks sake, no I don't find that. THAT'S MY WHOLE BLOODY POINT!
It's not about being equal...its about being treated equal.
The subjugation of women is so normalized in our society that I'm being blasted for even talking about it.

Fine, sexism doesn't exist.

There.

Happy?

emmmmmmm........firstly I'm a woman . and I do think I am treated equally . no complaints here .

I'm not blasting you for talking about sexism , I just didn't agree with you stating that you think that society thinks its cool if a woman is raped , but is horrified if a straight man is .

I think that any sexual assualt is (quite rightly) looked on with the same horror be it a man , woman or child .

stunning said:
As there is a collective denial that male rape even happens, there are very, very few supports in place for a man who has to go to the police station and report that he has been raped.

from the dublin rape crisis centres website .

"Although Rape Crisis Centres may also appear difficult to approach, as they can be sometimes perceived as a woman- only preserve, be assured that all of these additional difficulties will be understood and respected by counselling staff, once a male survivor of rape has taken the most difficult step of contacting the Centre".

spiritualtramp said:
I'm not blasting you for talking about sexism , I just didn't agree with you stating that you think that society thinks its cool if a woman is raped , but is horrified if a straight man is .

I think that any sexual assualt is (quite rightly) looked on with the same horror be it a man , woman or child .

Wow. I totally disagree with you and I base my disagreement on the volumes and volumes of images of sexual domination of women and the promotion of aggresive sexual(hetero) male behavior I see in popular entertainment and other media.

Re: being treated equally. I'm glad you don't have any complaints...but in the U.S. where I'm from, per capita, women only earn .52 cents to the dollar earned by men. Personally, I'm not ok with that.

I'm glad it's different for you here in Ireland.

Thomas

stunning said:
volumes and volumes of images of sexual domination of women and the promotion of aggresive sexual(hetero) male behavior I see in popular entertainment and other media
Gimme a few examples Thomas ... not disagreeing with you (yet :)) but please, just a handful of concrete cases to give me a better idea of where you're coming from

billygannon said:
fundamental lack of respect for the person you are raping.

and thereby, people with rape fantasies (ie who fantasise about being raped) have low respect for themselves. possibly.

thing about the whole
when a straight man gets raped the world is horrofied and PUNISHMENT IS IMINENT and MANDATORY
is that, no, the world isn't any more horrified than if it was a woman who was raped, it's just Quentin Tarantino projecting his own morbid fear of being subjugated to male rape (and all the supposedly emasculating baggage that goes with that). He's the one who's terrified by it, hence the whole 'get medieval on yo ass' business.

egg_ said:
Gimme a few examples Thomas ... not disagreeing with you (yet :)) but please, just a handful of concrete cases to give me a better idea of where you're coming from

You're too smart for this Egg and I think you're just being lazy now.

Rap videos come to mind. Rock videos come to mind. Lynx deodorant commercials come to mind.

Can someone else here who's taken Women's History 101 in University help me out here? I'm late for work.

Simple example here Egg is the portrayal of men with multiple sex partners as studs and women with multiple sex partners as sluts. You've never been able to recognize that for yourself? ...and that's not just in movies, sadly, that's in life.

Later,

Cho Chang

stunning said:
Simple example here Egg is the portrayal of men with multiple sex partners as studs and women with multiple sex partners as sluts.

hmmmm, but part of the evolutionary thing and mammalian mating system is for the male to sow his seed with as many females as possible. i'm not condoning this behaviour in this day and age but y'know maybe this is why it seems more normal. i mean the common portrayal of gay guys is that they's promiscuous as anyone and they're not referred to as sluts.

conor said:
i mean the common portrayal of gay guys is that they's promiscuous as anyone and they're not referred to as sluts.
actually, they are. however, there's a certain cachet of studliness attaching to a guy's sluttishness, as if to say he's got it going on if he's that much in demand, sorta thing.

pretty unfair on girls really, that if they want to strut their stuff and go out scoring for the night, they are classed as sluts and man-eaters, nymphos and slags, village bicycles and 24 hour shops.

lmd64 said:
and thereby, people with rape fantasies (ie who fantasise about being raped) have low respect for themselves. possibly.

Possibly...

The other possiblity is that they have a very exciting fantasy life and recognize the eroticism of power, power exchange and power play...and choose to play with that eroticism in a safe, responsible, enjoyable, consensual way. :)

Love,

Cho Chang

stunning said:
The other possiblity is that they have a very exciting fantasy life and recognize the eroticism of power, power exchange and power play...and choose to play with that eroticism in a safe, responsible, enjoyable, consensual way. :)

Was this just an excuse to talk about your sex life? Can we all play?

I am the ultimate transgressive. I do it with my pajama top still on, in the dark, with no tongues. I think about how important it is to keep the population up to get me through the ickiness. Except if it's with a boy, in which case I justify it by appeals to ancient Greek society and the importance of keeping the population down.

Sometimes I wake up crying, but that's just coz my imaginary cat's got into the tear gas again.

kstop said:
Was this just an excuse to talk about your sex life? Can we all play?

<snip>

Sometimes I wake up crying, but that's just coz my imaginary cat's got into the tear gas again.

Your sex life sounds a lot more fun than mine I'll tell you that! :)

But to answer your question, no, not mine...all of ours...and not just our sex lives, but our lives in a larger context of gender and sexuality. That's what I wanted to talk about.

I want to say something snide now about cultural norms in Ireland in relation to talking about our sex lives, but I won't because it doesn't seem very nice...but I want to. :confused:

Just mentioning cultural norms in Ireland in relation to talking about our sex lives is enough to send you straight to hell, where demons and incubi flick lit matches at your exposed genitals for all eternity.

I know, it sounds like fun for the first few minutes, but honestly? It gets to be a such a drag after more than 12 months.

stunning said:
I want to say something snide now about cultural norms in Ireland in relation to talking about our sex lives, but I won't because it doesn't seem very nice...but I want to. :confused:

Ah now give us a chance, shure and there wasn't even any sex in Ireland until the Late Late.

Personally I find people wittering on about their sex lives to be tiresome and boring. It's like listening to a personality-free coworker recount another interminable dream. We all have them, get over it. My sexuality is defined in the larger context of my life, not the other way round. If this is all some kind of post-Catholic hangup - which I doubt - then thank fuck for it, because it's provided some useful perspective.

kstop said:
Ah now give us a chance, shure and there wasn't even any sex in Ireland until the Late Late.

Personally I find people wittering on about their sex lives to be tiresome and boring. It's like listening to a personality-free coworker recount another interminable dream. We all have them, get over it. My sexuality is defined in the larger context of my life, not the other way round. If this is all some kind of post-Catholic hangup - which I doubt - then thank fuck for it, because it's provided some useful perspective.
wait till i tell you what I got up to last night!!! it involved 3 jars of mayonnaise, a pair of Marigolds, a pair of jumpleads and a car battery. I never saw anyone jump so high in my life!!!

lmd64 said:
wait till i tell you what I got up to last night!!! it involved 3 jars of mayonnaise, a pair of Marigolds, a pair of jumpleads and a car battery. I never saw anyone jump so high in my life!!!

Mmm, condiments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back