PS3 (5 Viewers)

I see play sent me an email yesterday offering me a PS3 on release day if I pre-order now.

The wii sold out everywhere in a few minutes online didn't it? But play are having to pimp the PS3 to all their listed users a week before release???

apples and oranges, innit

I reckon it’s a combination of the high price, time of launch, lack of good games and huge amount of stock that’s leading retailers to really advertise ps3s. I heard ireland are getting 20,000 ps3s, plenty of those will sit on shelves and in warehouses until christmas.

i think we had the highest per-capita or per-household penetration of playstations at one stage, so who knows...

sometimes it seems like console manufacturers are fucked whatever they do - not enough stock on shelves and they're lambasted for fucking up; enough stock to meet demand and they're a accused of being a failure.

i think we had the highest per-capita or per-household penetration of playstations at one stage, so who knows...

sometimes it seems like console manufacturers are fucked whatever they do - not enough stock on shelves and they're lambasted for fucking up; enough stock to meet demand and they're a accused of being a failure.

I've no doubt that the ps3 will become very popular within a few years but its clear that this launch has no buzz about it. People are cautious, anyone i've talked to about it is sayin the same thing; 'i'm gettin one but i'm gonna wait six months' etc.

I worked in advance vision dun laoghaire when the ps2 launched and it was wild, people queueing from 2am, grown men fighting with teenagers....

The sea was angry that day, my friends.

I had my first go on a PS3 this week. Not blown away, but not massively disappointed either. The launch titles seem (at first glance) like a solid, unambitious bunch, which is nothing unusual for a console's first wave of games.

yeah the main problem with the ps3 is the games, it looks like a great machine and is more powerful than any other console. But the lack of games means the price becomes more of an issue. if like planned they had gran turismo, metal gear, warhawk etc at launch it might have helped. But from wht i have heard it is a nightmare to develop games for it. I will give it a year before i pick one up, by that time there will be some great games on it. No doubt though in the long run it will kick the 360's ass

grown men fighting with teenagers....

Do tell! I love hearing about stories like that.

Aye, apparently we've got the most PS-2s per head of population in the world (after japland). Probably as it was so easy to chip and pirate games for.

I can see this being the end of Sonys domination of the console market. If they can't rely on the "gimme the latest fad" crowd to jump on the bandwagon, they're fucked. I was forever reading in mags and papers how the ps2 had managed to break into the non-gamer market. Doesn't look like the ps3 is gonna do that.

Fucking Sony fanboy!!!!! lollol pwnd etc.

ha ha, na i am a 360 fanboy, much better games for it and the marketplace/xbl is great. But i just know that sony has a larger market share. Even with the ps3/wii/360 being release the ps2 is still outselling all of them!

I had my first go on a PS3 this week. Not blown away, but not massively disappointed either. The launch titles seem (at first glance) like a solid, unambitious bunch, which is nothing unusual for a console's first wave of games.
play motorstorm?

play motorstorm?

Yup, only a quick go though. Quite liked the sixaxis tilt control option, although I don't think I'd be using it for serious play. Would have liked to hear the sound ramped up to stupid levels - always important for racing games.

Anyway, thought it handled nicely, had a great sense of speed when you really put the boot down, and looked nice and smooth. Fun, but nothing groundbreaking or anything.

Yup, only a quick go though. Quite liked the sixaxis tilt control option, although I don't think I'd be using it for serious play. Would have liked to hear the sound ramped up to stupid levels - always important for racing games.

Anyway, thought it handled nicely, had a great sense of speed when you really put the boot down, and looked nice and smooth. Fun, but nothing groundbreaking or anything.

with motorstorm it's all about the scale... some of the tracks are insanely wide, with multiple routes and shit. good fun. and you're right - loudness does add to it.

resistance is kinda the same. i'd just finished gears of war a little beforehand, so i was distinctly... whelmed when i played it first. Until I got to the bits with a few dozen mongsters and soldiers milling about at the same time, that is. Good fun.

I'd definitely need more time to get into the games, it was all very rushed. Overall though - and I include the 360 in this - I'm not seeing the sort of leap in graphics that we got last generation (and I was playing these on stoopidly high-spec flat panels). It seems to have gotten to the stage, thankfully, where art direction is far more important than raw heft.

Putting aside raw heft and art direction i'd like to see more games that are pure fun to play like Crackdown.

I hope Sony read thumped.

I think Sony encourage more innovation than people give them credit for - they just don't tend to market their weirdo games very well.

they push for this generation is more for better ai, physics and sound etc. There is only so much they can do with the graphics. Although there was one vid for the ps3 with water in it (cant remember the name) but it looked amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back