Promoting your experiments (1 Viewer)

verkannt

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so I just want to start off by saying hello.

For the last year or so, i've been working on making my own sound. I'm learning everyday, and to be honest I really enjoy it. It's really cool to put your creative d.n.a. to something you really love. I've been keeping my music close to my chest, but I realize that although I like making shit for myself, I will eventually have to pass it on to other people if I want it to go anywhere. I was hoping if any advice regarding promoting your own music. It seems that people on here have a fantastic D.I.Y. approach to music, so it would be brilliant to learn from some people who have been through it, or in the same position.

Any sites I should be aware of?

Does Myspace and Soundcloud work?

If i'm sending music to labels, should it be better if I send a tape or cd, rather than an mp3 link? (any tips on improving my chances of people listening?)

Do labels listen to demos? (Has anyone on here got signed from a demo being sent?)

Is the only alternative setting up my own label?

Sorry for such basic questions, but it would be great to hear peoples stories and advice on the matter.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Any sites I should be aware of? Gigsmart (chuckle)

Does Myspace and Soundcloud work? Both Myspace and Soundcloud "work". SOundloud is the more simple of the two, but as Myspace becomes less and less usable, Soundcloud is becoming the more popular of the two I think. It's up to you which one you want to use. Sure you can even go wild and use both! Don't expect to have hundreds of fans overnight though just because your music has a webpage. You will still need to promote the fact.

If i'm sending music to labels, should it be better if I send a tape or cd, rather than an mp3 link? (any tips on improving my chances of people listening? Labels Schmabels. Easier just to release your stuff yourself. Make diy covers, get cdrs burned up (this can be done pretty cheaply these days!). Drop into shop. Wait for Cocaine and Bitchez to roll in.

Do labels listen to demos? (Has anyone on here got signed from a demo being sent?) Who knows. Probably a miniscule percentage get listened to. Even less get signed.

Is the only alternative setting up my own label? You don't have to set up a "label" as such. just release your own stuff. If you want to start releasing other people's stuff then I guess you can create a Label so people can identify where this music is coming from.

Also what Napalm said about hippies is true. If you heed any advice, heed that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back