• Replies 10
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

pad

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
hey,
i would like to record something on my computer that is of releasable quality but i seem to come across a few stumbling blocks. i have a pc which is pIII i think and has about 8GB of space left i think (although i can boost that fairly quickly by taking plenty of stuff off.) anyway everytime i record ( i use cakewalk by the way) i get two main problems, when i try to record the cpu at some point goes all over the shop on the second track and then just stops. that is unless i import a wav file into the first track as opposed to just recording it live. so anyway thats the first problem but one i can survive with anyway. the second problem is the sound quality. there are always these little noises on the recording that give away the fact that its recorded on a computer, admittedly im using one of them cheapo mics that come with the computer but it happened when i recorded from a four track and then imported the sound onto the computer. its sounds kind of like a loose spring inside a tube, anyway im guessing this is the soundcard, so then in that case im wondering what would be a good way of recitifying this (e.g. would a new soundcard do the job? and if so what soundcard would you recommend and where can i get one?) also i wouldn't mind getting two good mics, for guitar, vocals, bass, keyboards and drums mainly. so any suggestions would be luverly.
oh and please can you say it in laymans terms as much as possible cause i don't understand any psychobable.

Hi Pad,

I use a PC and Calkwalk to record my band's backing tracks. 8 GBs and a standard cheap Sound Blaster do the job. If you want to invest in a new sound card, I'll suggest the SB Live! It's cheap enough and it has Jack, digital and MIDI Ins/Outs on the front panel. If then you want to spend more you can get a Digi001 + Protools (it's about €1200 but kicks ass)

You can find more about this in the "Recording Equipment" section of the Resources page on www.morellorocks.com

Sound quality is most likely affected by the microphone... you can't get a decent sound with a PC mic. I'd suggest you a Shure SM58 for vocals and a SM57 for instruments (about 100 Euros each). If you want to spend less I saw a couple of nice cheap mics at Maplin in Jervis St (about 50 Euros).

Besides background noises can be overcome by plugging ALL the power plugs into the very same socket and/or using a cheap (40 Euros) DI Box with a ground lift switch like this one

More about mics and DI in the mentioned equipment page

About the problem of the program stopping the recording for no apparent reason, I experienced that too! I think it's the OS (you use Windows 98 right?), if you switch to Windows 2000 (which works in multitasking) this should be sorted.

A temporary solution is: open any other window (E.G. Volume/Mixer or even just the notepad), go back to Cakewalk, start the recording and immediately after switch to that window (Alt+Tab) ......don't ask me why but it does work :D

Good luck, A.

Originally posted by Alex
I'd suggest you a Shure SM58 for vocals and a SM57 for instruments (about 100 Euros each). If you want to spend less I saw a couple of nice cheap mics at Maplin in Jervis St (about 50 Euros).

I wouldn't recommend spending any less than this on mics, unless you're looking for special effects (or getting a good mic second-hand)

alex,
have you any suggest on how to record on two seperate tracks, using two seperate mics simultaneously on cakewalk?
cheers
and thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by egg_
I wouldn't recommend spending any less than this on mics, unless you're looking for special effects (or getting a good mic second-hand)

I bought a mic in Maplins for 22 euro

its a piece of crap

BUT stick in front of a good fuzzed up amp, a good distance away as its got a mental proximity effect. Do yer rock thang. Then boost the highs lots with EQ and compress to bits and TA-DA!!

its the most crazy wasp in jar, needle sharp slab of fuzz ever. I loves it.

huzzah!!

Originally posted by pad
i ended up buying an audigy platinum 2.
good or bad idea.

i suggest a brief search of google with the words "audigy platinum 2 crackling static"

i have an audigy and it worked fine,low latency and decent sound.Then i installed a new modem.From then on it has driven me up the wall trying to get rid of the "crackling" or "static".
i searched the web and creatives site for help and found that there are thousands of other people with the same problem.It is especially prominent when you get the computer to do something while you are recording or playing an mp3.

i've wittled it down to the IRQ assignments but then it gets complicated trying to change them in win2000.
bottom line,if it works fine now,you better hope you haven't to install any new hardware.

sorry if this scares you but creative are quickly developing a rep for shite hardware,check out this rant:
http://www.bertrandom.com/fucksb/index.php

the best/affordable alternative soundcard i can see out there at the moment is the midiman 24/96 audiophile.It got best card last year in computer music (the first time for a non creative made card),and it's 200 sterling.
http://www.midiman.net/company/media/reviews/computermusic_ap2496/cmreview.html

Originally posted by pad
alex,
have you any suggest on how to record on two seperate tracks, using two seperate mics simultaneously on cakewalk?
cheers
and thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated.

Yep, the audigy has two jack inputs (left and right). Plug the mic in one and the guitar in the other.

In Cakewalk double-click on the first track and select Input -> Audio <left>

Then click on the second track and select Input -> Audio <right>

This should do the job.

My SB LIVE! Platinum was great, never tried an audigy but looks pretty cool to me, I think you made a good choice (hoping you won't experience the difficulties Nine talks about..... sorry, never heard of this before or I would have warned you)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back