post rock or what (1 Viewer)

'high horse'? i just think its stupid that there are a ton of people out there who consider themselves 'alternative' and 'underground' but only go to see bands that the nme write about, even if they are £16.50, and seeing as most of the people who posted about the tortoise gig seemed a little disapointed, i was merely alluding to the suggestion that people think twice before shelling out large amounts of bills for gigs that may be hip 'n' cool but may also be shite.

if i got my high horse on i would have called you all a load of stupid wanker bastard cunts, and challenged you all to get a mind of your own...

(but of course i don't think like that...)

Hmmm. I was one of the slightly disappointed punters, and I didn't "just go because the NME like them" - I went because (gasp) I myself personally like their music, and I'd seen them before, and they were great. Similarly, I have gone to see entirely unsuccessful bands in teeny venues for fuck-all money, because I also (gasp) like their music, etc. This "never pay more than £x to see a band in case they're shite, and sure they probably will be shite because popularity sucks musical talent out of people like a big sucky thing, and you're probably just pretending to like them because they're expensive, pardon me while I strip you of your official Undergroundness credentials" malarkey is a bit ridiculous. IMO.

Anyone else want a go of the high horse?

damien (04 May, 2001 01:31 a.m.):
nice to know i didn't waste £16.50...
maybe it'll knock some sense into heads who believe that such hyped-up and trendy bands are worth paying large sums of money to see in the flesh...

I don't think that Tortoise are hyped-up and trendy...I just think they're a good band. Ok, they might have been better, less 'harmless', whatever you want to call it around the time they released "Millions now living.." but just because the gig cost £16.50 does not mean that that it is automatically going to be shit. Tortoise have some great songs..you can agree or disagree with that, thats your choice, but they are amazing musicians (the drummer(s) especially kicked ass).
I have seen plenty of bands who are Altenative and Underground who only charged £2 or £3 or whatever and they were shit aswell...in fact i would rather pay £16.50 to see some competent musicians play their instruments in creative combinations, knocking out some good tunes than watch some 'Underground' band attempt to be creative...
I'm sure there are loads of people who went to the Nick Cave gig's who were able to justify £32 or whatever it cost...I think Nick Cave is a living legend but I could not bring myself to spend that much cash to go ...it was probably a "best gig I have ever seen" for some people...cool, but that price is taking the piss.

I just hate this whole post-rock bollox...I always thought that Tortoise were an unusual Jazz band...I can't wait for post-rock to eat itself.

Hmmm.....Post Rock Will Eat Itself....tragic rap with offbeat drumming and a marimba...."big mac, fries to go gimmie big mac fries to go!"
It's a winner....

'Tragic rap'.
I love that.
So appropriate.
What a desperate band they were.

You're all the losers if you didn't shell out the £28.50 to see Al Green.

mugwump (04 May, 2001 04:25 p.m.):

just because the gig cost £16.50 does not mean that that it is automatically going to be shit.

i never even implied that.

my point is that just because a gig is £16.50 doesn't mean its going to be good, something that i genuinely think a lot of 'indie-wanker' types really believe.

its not about underground credentials or elitism (however much it may suit you to claim that it is...), its about gig politics, seeing supposedly underground/independent bands charge large sums of money into their gigs and seeing hundreds of people paying a lot of money to see mediocre bands when brilliant bands play in dublin to practically no-one all the time.

hey, i'm not out to get you or put you down because you went to tortoise or any other gig, i'd just like to change the mentality of the vast majority of 'alternative' gig-goers in the country...

supid ideology...

I consider Tortoise at lots of £ to be crackin' value 'cos they played a blinder (IMHO) and came all the way from Americay. ('course I've got a good job, so I can afford it).

Thing is, i don't demand that bands be poorer than me - turning a profit and making decent music are not mutually exclusive. I've seen utter nonsense on several occasions over the years and wished I had my pence back. Three quid worth of rubbish is crap value - especially back in the day when half of youse was nippers and a fiver did you for the week (pint of blackcurrent and four straws, please - walking home after). Many Dublin bands have benefitted from my £2.50's over the past 15+ years. I don't think the 'toise are good 'cos they cost £16.50 - I think they're good 'cos they're good. Paying a semi-large amount of money to see a band u like does not make you an 'indie wanker' and if people say it does then fuck 'em (well, if they're cute!)

hey boss, i'm not attacking you, there's no need to prove your underground credentials.

no one seems to be taking what i say at face value, instead people are reading what they want into it, so i'm going to stop this right now. i am fed up trying to change shit around here.

The whole money thing i think is very valid.
i remember back in the day going to see moby in the old tmbc and not that is was shit or i didn't enjoy myself but for the money I thought "Oh I could have just aswell paid £3 and gone and seen the holemasters round the corner" cos to be honest it really wasn't much better than that. And i think if you are paying that much extra(tenner or so) you do deserve something worth the money.

Seems to me the music of yer 'indie fan' is of little relevance beyond it's own little world these days.
They've left college and have meaty salaries to pay for an evening of nostalgia for the recent past.
'Indie' is becoming as marginalised as northern soul or some such genre.
So to see the remaining biggies (often paying their first visit to Ireland 3 years past their sell-by date) you'll have to hand over the big money.

the meaning of the word "indie" sorta died with the whole MTV/Nirvana thing 10 years ago didn't it? The bloody word doesn't mean anything anymore - same as alternative. Alternative to what? Westlife? Madonna? REM? shit, REM are still probably considered alternative/indie and they're the best paid band in the world.... I think underground and experimental are probably the closest equivalent now to what indie and alternative were.

and anyway, post rock is just a term, a couple of words juxtaposed together to create a nice little pidgeon hole for Darragh Purcell to smugly quote. post rock. what does it mean? and is there a pre rock? and who is post rock? what's the criteria? If people think Tortoise ar "post rock" then what are Can? Can Can be post rock, even though they preceded the notion by three decades. are they indeed Pre rock? or Pre Popst rock. which is essentiall rock? pre+post+rock=rock? but Kiss are rock? So are Kiss like can? who are like tortoise? are you telling me that Kiss are better than tortoise?

it's all arse.

From a Gil Scott Heron Biography......see lines 4 & 5

In a touching bit of irony which he himself was quick to joke about, Gil Scott-Heron was born on April Fool's Day 1949 in Chicago, the son of a Jamaican professional soccer player (who spent time playing for Glasgow Celtic) and a college-graduate mother who worked as a librarian. His parents divorced early in his life, and Scott-Heron was sent to live with his grandmother in Lincoln, Tennessee. Learning musical and literary instruction from her, Scott-Heron also learned about prejudice first-hand, as he was one of three children picked to integrate an elementary school in nearby Jackson. The abuse proved to much to bear, however, and the eighth-grader was sent to New York to live with his mother, first in the Bronx and later in the Hispanic neighborhood of Chelsea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back