Point - Counterpoint (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter John
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

John

Since 2000
I don't know if the esteemed Dr J's review is new or not, but I just saw it.
In the interest of getting more than one angle, heres a slightly more positive review of the Whelans show.
http://www.allirelandmusic.com/Indie/Reviews/December/thejimmycake021200.htm
Thanks.
J.

arf! how funny, it was dr.j's review of the platelets that prompted me to start posting on this board all that time ago and after having given up there for a while he's made me want to get writing again.
and let me say again that criticism is an artform and that dr.j at his level is one of the most atrocious practitioners of any artform in this country. truly inimitable :p

further to that: the one thing that you learn about the line-up and instrumentation of ver cake from dr.j's 'review' is that somebody wore a clown nose. suffering jayzuz.

skinny 'fucking' puppy reference
again (cf. platelets review)
comparing anybody unfavourably to s 'f' p only goes to show what a fucking fool you are (and as for god 'fucking' speed you.. both of those bands are a disgrace to canada)
suffering jayzuz
staggering ignorance

As the clown with the nose, I would like to thank Dr. J for his honesty. If a reviewer doesn't like a band he should say so.
You were right about one thing: all the band should have been wearing red noses, only I left all but one at home.
It's a bit silly to think a guy wearing a red nose doesn't know he's a clown though....

Clown - Fool - Freedom!
(For further study, try "Madness and Civilisation" by Marcel Foucault. Also "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" by Victor Hugo).

As for the "steep" £5 admission, it would have been a bargain if you'd liked us, wouldn't it? Yes, we made a small profit, but we (and indeed all bands) have to lay out quite a lot in rehearsals, equipment, transport, advertising, venue hire, etc, etc. I think £5 is OK. I'd pay it. Shall we start the "How much is too much?" argument again?

I'd like if you came to see us again - we grow more coherent by the day, and I'd be happy to talk to you about what we trying to get across. We're not trying to baffle people. That's Luc's job.

Mail me privately, Dr. J, and I'll put you on the guest list for our next gig.

Over and out,
Clown Power!

What sort of got my back up in that review was the mention of those finely worded jibes sort of gives the impression that the show wasn't enjoyed by the crowd; I reckon Dr J was sat at the single sneering table in the venue. It was pissing down that night. The venue is a mile walk from anywhere. The best part of 200 lovely people came out nonetheless. The lions share enjoyed the whole gig. Thats why Whelans was jammers last week.

When reviewing one should back up ones opinion somewhat.

Comparing us to G.y.b.e. is a bit lazy to say the least.

I have no problem with criticism (no really!) but I have a huge problem with the conceited and often downright nasty tone of the review, the horrendous syntax and the gratuitous name dropping. And what the fuck does " I can stand a lot of things but there are some things I can’t" mean? You need a heart to live?

But like Keeror says, come along to the next gig and let's see if we can put your drunken prose to good effect (For Us!)

As a Platelet, reading Dr. J's Platelets review made me think at the time "Is this man a complete fucking idiot?", and it wasn't the fact he didn't like the gig that made me think that. Fine. He didn't like the gig. So what?

Upon reading his follow-up offering I feel I can confirm early suspicions. Fool.

If, Dr. J., you would like to argue this and make a case for yourself, bring it on...

http://www.allirelandmusic.com/Artists/J/Jimmycake.htm

and a 'profile'. swish.

i can only assume that dr.j doesn't read this board as i've never seen him reply to the lambasting that his 'work' often receives. funnily i've heard recently (second hand) that mr 'j' actually rates himself very highly as a writer and reviewer. we can only assume that he (a) has a hide of iron, or (b) is thick as pigshit, or (c) both.

I have a suggestion for the band. The next time you play a gig, tell all of your friends from college not to go. Then see what kind of crowd reaction you get.

True, none of the Jimmy Cake are in College but who has kept this topic going?

Why if it's not most of the members of the Jimmy Cake and one of their good mates(oh and germ who doesn't count cos he's a student)

So who likes talking about themselves eh??

Responding on this site to a review on posted on this site doesn't really constitute talking about ourselves. I'd rather if the thread had never been started in the first place. And for the record, it was you who kept the thread going. So nyahhhh.

That worked on so many levels.
Funny AND clever.
I bet you're a total sweetass to boot.

We ain't in Kansas any more, Toto.

"da da da da da da...down in Ah-africa!"

why talk about ourselves?
just to balance the green day / adti / whoever / johnny foreigner (i want to know what love is) / shite / shite / etc. conversations that are going on on other threads. you wouldn't want to be too dependant on feedback from your contemporaries around here. it takes a twit like dr.j just to get this self-referential twaddle going. keep it country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back