PNG vs. TIFF print quality (1 Viewer)

nooleen

bad ape
Solutions
is there a noticeable difference between png and tiff print quality? gotta print a very large document with many images so prefer PNG for smaller size but i don't want the images to look shitty
it doesn't look to me like there's a noticeable difference on-screen but i don't have access to a printer right now to check how the hard copy will look

the resolution doesn't matter; if you ask the printer to print the PNG at 300dpi, they should be able to do it.
are you using compressed TIFFs? they can be much bigger if not compressed.

no, not compressed
i'm slightly in over my head here, i don't really know much about this stuff

i'm printing it myself on an office printer....

i think i have everything in RGB too...oh noes..

The important thing is that the images have enough pixels in them to print at the size you need to print. Printers generally print at 300 ppi (pixels per inch) so if the images printed are going to be 3 inches wide on the page then they should be 900 pixels in their horizontal dimension (or more). This is much more important than whether they are PNG or TIFF, or whether they are compressed or uncompressed, or whether they are RGB or CMYK.

Hope I am not confusing things more ...

resolution in an image file is metadata.
the file consists of information defining a image of (say) 1000 x 1000 pixels; that's the important bit.
the resolution is merely additional data which does not actually alter the contents of the image, but it's essentially an instruction or preference saying how physically big you would like the image printed. screen displays rarely take this into account, and it's easy to override.

ok thanks, that seems like good information guyz

whether i have time to examine and amend about 300 images before printing on wednesday is another issue....

My advise is use TIFF if you're in a hurry set the crop tool in photoshop to 300 dpi and just run it over every image

If you're dealing with a professional printer.

CMYK has a smaller colour gamut so if you're colours are highly saturated in RGB it will be flatter when printed. So when you change the profile of the image you'll have to do a fair bit of adjusting. Most Gyclee printers use RGB so you could be okay to leave them.

If it's possible, try to find out from your printer what model of machine it's being printed on and what paper (if its an ink jet or gyclee printer) then download the printer/paper profile from the internet and use it to proof the images. If your screen isn't colour balanced then you won't get exactly what's on screen but by turning the profile on and off a few times you can get an idea of how different the print will be.

If you're printing on an office printer though (assuming it's not great) and you have time to muck about a bit my advise is to use a few different papers. I did all my prints for presentations in college using cheap Daler Roney scetchpad paper and a shitty Dell printer they turned out really nicely. Office printer inks won't be archival anyway so you can save a few quid and have a really nice finish if your into matte papers.

TIFF.is a popular format for high color-depth images, along with JPEG and PNG. It is great tag-based file format for file format for storing and interchanging raster images (bit-mapped images) on personal computers (both PCs and Macintosh computers), popular among graphic artists, the publishing industry, and both amateur and professional photographers in general.So i prefer TIFF format.About tiff processing and printing,plz check http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp-imaging/multipage-tiff-processing/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back