Plumbing! (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
My cold kitchen tap is drip drip dripping, so I need to change the washer.
This is relatively easy, but I have to turn off the water at the mains, and can't figure out how!

I have turned off the two red taps at the immersion tank. This has turned off the bathroom water and the hot water tap in kitchen.
But the cold water tap in the kitchen is still gushin' out, when turned on.

Any ideas? There are no switches or taps or anything under the sink or behind the washing machine.
I'm going mad trying to find it! Its an apartment, and the management company said it should be under the sink.

kitchen sink cold tap is your clean drinking water and should be on a separate connection to every other tap in the place.

follow the pipe.

kitchen sink cold tap is your clean drinking water and should be on a separate connection to every other tap in the place.

follow the pipe.

Tried that and am running out of space, before it disappears along the floor behind the lower level kitchen presses.
Might have to remove more panels and don't really want to do that though!

I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Its not that serious right now, but I want to get it sorted...

Yeah.

I failed again!

My Dad could do ALL this stuff (plumbing/ electrics) when I was a kid. I should have paid more attention when he made me stand there watching him fix stuff!
I always just wanted to go and listen to Jesus and Mary Chain and read the latest Stephen King.

An apartment you say. Do you have an area that has the big copper cylinder? Most your pipework should go through there. Bang on the hot water for a while then feel round the pipes (watch they can be mad hot) for the cold one and then find a valve on it. Use some common sense with it to trace the right valve. The valve may also not be blue, just a round red or black one is what I'd be looking for.

It should be quite accessible.

Can you see any pipes under the sink, or are they hidden behind panels or something?

Mine have valves like these that are operated using a flathead screwdriver.

Water-pipe-isolating-valve.jpg

Modern ones have fancy handles that are really easy to use.

There should be no reason to turn off the main supply.

Or , as Pete says get a man in

can you see where the water comes into your apartment?
you'd need to know this anyway just in case you ever have a leak along the feed to the kitchen sink.

Under my sink, looks like this - there is no valve as such (that can be operated by screwdriver). Nothing further down below either.
557232_4842125458014_1959876250_n.jpg

My utility room, where the immersion heater is, looks like this. I have turned off both those red taps and can't find anything else.
375845_4842116017778_171495321_n.jpg

Can you see any pipes under the sink, or are they hidden behind panels or something?

Mine have valves like these that are operated using a flathead screwdriver.

Water-pipe-isolating-valve.jpg

Modern ones have fancy handles that are really easy to use.

There should be no reason to turn off the main supply.

Or , as Pete says get a man in

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back