playing blinding fast ramones style punk hi hats. (1 Viewer)

yeah i went from just above the snare to face height(in accordance with moving from an alt.country band to a rawk band).
i find that face high hi-hats means that your arms generally rest easier with the fulcrum of your elbow. as in, if you have your hi-hat elbow a few inches away from your body and your arm in a tight 'V' shape, thats how i rest when drumming. but the more you open out the 'V' shape(as if lowering the hi-hats), the more strain it puts on your arm.
HOW AND EVER, i had more a jazz style influencing me when i was younger and used to have my elbows tight against my sides with the low hats.. as drumming IS ALL IN THE WRISTS, this is the best way to help that fact BUT as break neck speed said, YOU WONT GET NO POWER.
thus concludes my findings.

There is a bit of technique involved to fast hi-hat hits. I find it easier to play the first beat with the wrist and forearm then kind of flick the stick with my fingers slightly for the next three, then repeat
> at least I think thats what I do, its hard to figure out at work without any sticks at hand.

Sometimes I use the shoulder of the stick on the outer edge of the hat. then on the next hit use the tip of the stick somewhere closer to the centre. sort of rocking the stick from the outside to the inside of the hit hat.
but only if i'm doing a hip hop type beat with lots of fast hats. Haven't really used it for metal.
I'm learning that push-pull/open-close technique. I can sort of do it for slayer type beats when the snare is on the one, but not when the bass drum is on the one.

I find I hit the second strike slightly higher up (closer to the centre) of the ride/hat than the first strike and repeat over and over going up down up down. Works for me

then, there's the moeller technique; it's all about sort of 'throwing' the stick to make the hit and allowing its momentum to return it back to the original position, so you're not pulling the stick back. in other words you're doing less so you can do it faster or something. here's jim chapin talking about it a bit:

YouTube - Jim Chapin on the moeller technique

"think of holding a fledgling bird in your hand..." haha. legend.

Died there on the 4th of July R.I.P

Yeah jim Chapin on the moeller technique is legend.
I´ve been practicing this for the past year or so and it´s improved my drumming no end. It´s made it so much easier to play fast you wouldn´t believe.
But yeah practice, practice, practice. Black flag used to write every song really slowly then as they got better at it play it all the time as fast as they could.
And remember to breath. I find the hardest thing about playing fast is to relax my body and breath.
P. Pockets all this rocking on the hi-hats does that not give you different sounds with each strike? (I´m guessing this is like a gravity blast but on the hi-hats). therefore doesn´t it sound weird?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back