playing blinding fast ramones style punk hi hats. (1 Viewer)

rampz

ive seen joss and eric doing this in the flesh, 8ths i suppose it is.. do yissser arms ever get tired or do yis use a special technique or is it a case of constant practice and building up strength and stamina. i cant do this without my poor right arm becoming very sore.

this might seem like a minor thing to you guys.

practice is all i can say i guess. and try moving your hi-hats higher or lower. i used to have low hats, more or less a couple of inches above the snare. now i do dave grohl super hi hats and i feel more comfortable when playing the rock musics.

ive seen joss and eric doing this in the flesh, 8ths i suppose it is.. do yissser arms ever get tired or do yis use a special technique or is it a case of constant practice and building up strength and stamina. i cant do this without my poor right arm becoming very sore.

this might seem like a minor thing to you guys.
the right hand is the least important part of playing like this. kick keeps the down beat, snare keeps the back beat. right hand on the hh or ride only marks time.

practice is all i can say i guess. and try moving your hi-hats higher or lower. i used to have low hats, more or less a couple of inches above the snare. now i do dave grohl super hi hats and i feel more comfortable when playing the rock musics.
G, keep that high hat high. Is the reason its called a high hat. Only hippies play with it low, in a "laid-back" sort of way. You'll spend more on sticks, but rock harder.
Alternatively, sitting high, with all drums and cymbals high, rocks too, despite the fact, you're relatively the same height as you'd be sitting low. eg., John Wright, NoMeansNo.
Don't be one with you're drum kit! Dominate it!

G, keep that high hat high. Is the reason its called a high hat. Only hippies play with it low, in a "laid-back" sort of way. You'll spend more on sticks, but rock harder.
Alternatively, sitting high, with all drums and cymbals high, rocks too, despite the fact, you're relatively the same height as you'd be sitting low. eg., John Wright, NoMeansNo.
Don't be one with you're drum kit! Dominate it!

Aren't high hats evolved from what were called sock hats that were played right down low by your feet?

isn't there the push-pull/open-close technique for that? it's all in the wrist basically. and a bit of hand action too. oo-er...

that and shitloads of practice. there are loads of you tube videos, some good, some shit, demonstrating

here's a er, crotchtastic example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

pretty popular with the metallers and other one handed roll merchants.

then, there's the moeller technique; it's all about sort of 'throwing' the stick to make the hit and allowing its momentum to return it back to the original position, so you're not pulling the stick back. in other words you're doing less so you can do it faster or something. here's jim chapin talking about it a bit:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"think of holding a fledgling bird in your hand..." haha. legend.

I learned to play drums to green day's Dookie album. Nuthin but that hi hat style on there so ive never known any different. Id say pracitce will build stamina which is key for this style.

isn't there the push-pull/open-close technique for that?...

That's great stuff. Thanks!

Uhhm. I've no idea about 8ths or anything. My policy is to not think. So much so that I'm now a bit afraid of thinking. Or practicing stuff like those videos. That's probably idiocy. The grindcore-y band I played in last year was really fun and I'd quite like to be able to play that stuff vaguely well ;)

Is there any benifit in having low hi hats? I've always just had them relatively high up nothing crazy though. Is lower easier?

Try lowering them

Thinker.jpg

Is there any benifit in having low hi hats? I've always just had them relatively high up nothing crazy though. Is lower easier?

the hi hats will last WAY longer, especially if you don't use heavy clunkers. you can get at a wider range of sounds easier. also, it's easier to use two sticks on the hats and do other shit around the kit at the same time if they are low down. or as is my experience anyway.

on fast hat work - listen to hc punk and speed metal, and practice. it always helps to be as relaxed as possible and use less arms and more wrists.

Ive been playing my hi-hats face high since i started playing 8 yrs ago. Its the only way i can hit my snare hard. I play cross handed and if they're low i cant get my snare hand high enough to harness the almighty power. Same if you're playing d-beat or hardcore beats. Theres no right or wrong answer, its what works for each individual.

Lovely set of ludwigs there...

drummer.jpg

Her cymbals are a bit dusty though.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back