phantom fm sued? (1 Viewer)

Charlie Bucket

from their website:

"Apologies again for the delay in getting back to people with regard to possible employment with Phantom FM. This is of course caused by the current legal action being taken by Scrollside/ZED FM against the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland which is ongoing.
Under the circumstances we are not currently in a position to shortlist or call applicants for interview. We will however be replying to all applicants shortly indicating if we propose to further consider specific applications when our position has been clarified.

The legal challenge is an action that we are not directly involved in and as such it is largely beyond our control. Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to applicants."

is bob geldof suing phantom?
story?

Apparently they're saying that they should have gotten the license because Phantom were a pirate and they were doing things through the proper channels or some bullshit like that.

giveadogabone said:
is bob geldof suing phantom?
story?

Did you read the statement you quoted by any chance?

"Apologies again for the delay in getting back to people with regard to possible employment with Phantom FM. This is of course caused by the current legal action being taken by Scrollside/ZED FM against the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland which is ongoing.
Under the circumstances we are not currently in a position to shortlist or call applicants for interview. We will however be replying to all applicants shortly indicating if we propose to further consider specific applications when our position has been clarified.

The legal challenge is an action that we are not directly involved in and as such it is largely beyond our control. Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to applicants."

The answer is no, Bob Geldof is not sueing Phantom.

therecklessone said:
Did you read the statement you quoted by any chance?

The answer is no, Bob Geldof is not sueing Phantom.

No but he (or at least the company he is involved in) is taking a legal action whose outcome is designed to stop Phantom getting the licence .... isn't that it?

hugh said:
No but he (or at least the company he is involved in) is taking a legal action whose outcome is designed to stop Phantom getting the licence .... isn't that it?

thats pretty shady use of the word 'designed' there ;)

I think closer to the truth would be to say a concequence, or side effect, of the outcome may mean phantom won't get the licence.

If this is the outcome it's the BCI who are at fault, not scrollside or phantom

Pantone247 said:
thats pretty shady use of the word 'designed' there ;)
what he meant to say was "a legal action whose outcome design principles of alignment, balance, contrast, emphasis, movement, pattern, proportion, proximity, repetition, rhythm, unity, and white space were intended to stop Phantom getting the licence"

Designers are so pedantic ...

Hello all,

Just a quick update on the whole court thing.

We're all back in court this Thursday (June 2nd) when the case comes up for mention again. Scrollside (Zed FM) have been asked to lodge 125,000 Euro as security of costs by Wednesday as they are only a shelf company.

The court action is being taken by Scrollside against the BCI. We're (Phantom) the ones in the middle of it all. Zed are arguing a number of points mainly focusing on the BCI procedures for assessing applications but also claiming that the BCI set out from the start of the process to "santise" the "criminal broadcasting" of Phantom FM and give it a licence.

Very frustrating altogether and means we will miss our proposed launch date of July 1st.

Pete

Best of luck with this, Pete. What a pain in the hole to have to deal with it, but hopefully, Geldof will lose, and he can put his energies back into resurrecting the Spice Girls for Live Aid Mark II.

When you win (or, rather, when Geldof loses, since it's not you guys being sued), you should have a whole evening dedicated to playing Boomtown Rats songs with samples of crying babies looped over them.

By the way, I was listening to an interview with Ray D'Arcy on Newstalk this morning, and he mentioned something about how a lot of the local radio stations around the country started out as 'pirate' broadcasters. So it seems to me that if this so-called 'sanitising' of 'criminal broadcasting' is such a part of the recent history of Irish broadcasting, Geldof's case is one based on very shaky justifications.

Thanks Jane,

Hopefully they will lose, and sooner rather than later.

TBH Im not sure how much involvement Geldof has in this at all. Only really seems to be two of the main players in Zed who are at least publically backing the challenge and only one who has lodged an affadavit. They are Dermot Hanrahan (ex CEO of FM104) and of course Niall Stokes of Hot Press.

The whole pirate radio thing is a cultural thing in Ireland and has been so for many years. Everybody from the Gerry Ryans, Fannings and even Ronan Collins and Marty Whelans of this world started in the early pirates and its the same now with the ex Phantom heads on 2FM as well as most of the on air staff of FM104, Spin and the like. Even Hot Press had their own radio show on a pirate many years ago.

Head wrecking.

Pete

panelc.jpg

'im sorry for being such a spa for so long'

signed
author.gif

niall stokes.

I would love if that was brought in as evidence for the defence.

"Mr. Stokes you have been quoted as admitting you're a massive spa, and can i add you really are A SPA"

Best of luck Pete Reed
Phantom put in the legwork and proved there is a market for what they do, and so the licence was created - it's fucking daft they weren't just given the licence straight out rather than this bullshit beauty contest ... of course the BCI didn't have the balls to do that so here we are

Hey Pete,

I learned of the case against ye at the weekend and it saddened me to the core. What saddens me even more about it is the lack of coverage it's got, particularly in the papers and in Hot Piss magazine itself.

It really reeks of sour grapes and is yet another example of the deluded soul that is Niall Stokes believing he's some grand puppeteer of all things musical in this great nation of ours.

I hope you take the curly cunt to the fucking cleaners,

Best,

AL

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back