period pains, whats the story... (1 Viewer)

ah

and there was me thinking you were just being a dirty bastard

Brian Conniffe said:
ha... well of course i am open to ridicule on here (as is, i believe, everything), but i have in intense interest in menstruation, which began with an interest and collection of folklore, cultural perceptions and religious notions (most of which are not connected with the "taboo" nature of it - as propigated by organised monotheistic religion - which i find to be a shameful phallocentric and misogynistic approach which is interesting to me only as far it raises questions about, and holds a mirror up to, the character of those disgusted by the subject / phenomenon) relating to it... but later led to my interest in and research of the biology of menstruation and from there to an interest in womens health issues in general.
as mentioned above, "the wise wound" is a fantastic starting point and my personal point of entry (ho ho)... after that, the collection "blood magic: the anthropology of menstruation" (edited by thomas buckley and alma gottlieb) is an excellent collection of ethnographic studies relating to it.
i was struck initially by the beauty of notions such as the shiva-ite hindu belief that during the menstrual period an opening is created between this world and the next... through biology, woman partakes of the infinite... connection with lunar worship, and the bloodshed of "christ", without which salvation is not possible... everywoman as christ, deified, feared by men, yet in which salvation lies. bleeding women used to run across the fields during pagan times in the belief that without them crops would never grow. it was essentially these things that i found fascinating, in light of the sadness of it being treated as a "taboo", labelled "dirty" by gynophobic male-supremist dogma and ideology.

Brian Conniffe said:

ha... well of course i am open to ridicule on here (as is, i believe, everything), but i have in intense interest in menstruation, which began with an interest and collection of folklore, cultural perceptions and religious notions (most of which are not connected with the "taboo" nature of it - as propigated by organised monotheistic religion - which i find to be a shameful phallocentric and misogynistic approach which is interesting to me only as far it raises questions about, and holds a mirror up to, the character of those disgusted by the subject / phenomenon) relating to it... but later led to my interest in and research of the biology of menstruation and from there to an interest in womens health issues in general.
as mentioned above, "the wise wound" is a fantastic starting point and my personal point of entry (ho ho)... after that, the collection "blood magic: the anthropology of menstruation" (edited by thomas buckley and alma gottlieb) is an excellent collection of ethnographic studies relating to it.
i was struck initially by the beauty of notions such as the shiva-ite hindu belief that during the menstrual period an opening is created between this world and the next... through biology, woman partakes of the infinite... connection with lunar worship, and the bloodshed of "christ", without which salvation is not possible... everywoman as christ, deified, feared by men, yet in which salvation lies. bleeding women used to run across the fields during pagan times in the belief that without them crops would never grow. it was essentially these things that i found fascinating, in light of the sadness of it being treated as a "taboo", labelled "dirty" by gynophobic male-supremist dogma and ideology.

This stuff is none of your business, Brian, and your pursuit of this subject can only lead to great unhappiness.
Women would be wary of a man who is interested in their front-bums from a biological and cultural angle.
I prescribe a weekend spent watching the Band of Brothers boxset and if you still feel no inclination back towards more male-oriented pursuits, then take 5 Soprano's box sets and call me in the morning.
You'll thank me for this.

La La said:
actually, you know the way if you spend alot of time with female friends your periods start aligning?

That sounds like commie talk.

Commie!!!
commie.jpg

muffin said:
a girl in my class in secondary school used to always say 'ive got me flowers' and i never quite understood why..

they used to say that at my school too. silly phrase altogether.

spiritualtramp said:
Agreed. Did you have a bad experience? Mine involved puking bile and feeling like I had PMT all the time.

was that just with one type of pill or did it seem to hapen with other brands too?

spiritualtramp said:
Agreed. Did you have a bad experience? Mine involved puking bile and feeling like I had PMT all the time.

ditto. except i went on to try several other brands. highlights included continuous bleeding, THE RAGE, panic attacks, and bloating. lovely. it was like the seven dwarves of pill side effects (ragey, bloaty, fatty, spotty, pukey, bleedy, and moody).

i'll take me cramps, frankly.

I blame the pill for all sorts.
I just went mental and wasn't sure if it was me or the pill and that's a shitty feeling.
Judgeing from what you guys are saying it was probably the pill.
Also the second time I took it I started getting UTI's (Urinary tract infections) really bad and I'm 90% sure that's what started them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back