People Who Died (7 Viewers)

I'm very much on the side of 30 minute wig outs, especially if it's Neil Young's imagination we are hearing - but also I get why it causes cognitive dissonance for people - they just wanna be around people who feel like they do about a song for a few minutes, that's a nice feeling.

I remember people going to see Robert Palmer and Cyndi Lauper (separate gigs) expecting the big hits and leaving in bewilderment when they were subjected to big band jazz. But what's a musician to do?

Loads of bands I've had plenty of opportunity to see but have not gone( and not been upset about it) because they will not play what I would want them to.

When I got to see The Pogues, I also got to see NY. Quite mad in retrospect.
My line manager (the son of the real manager, a 21yo squirt who was very clever but lived on the instant gratification of red bull and teh internets) walked out. Then he puts on FB, on the way home, something like "I didn't like this NY fella. 15 minutes in and he only played two songs".

I don't know much about NY, but I loved it.

i'd forgotten he'd made 'colony'. he also did the recent video for roisin murphy, the one shot in arklow. a former thumpeder can briefly be seen in that video.

Shane was a wonderful lyricist, as good as they come.
His songs help me make sense of some of the world.
I sometimes feel it's a shame he let the comedy drunkard persona overshadow that, but it was his truth.

The world we know is slowly being taken away from us piece by piece, person by person.

RIP

I was at the funeral procession there and they stopped on Pearse st to play fairytale of New York and Rainy Day in Soho. The crowd sang along with all the parts they knew.
It was actually really lovely.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hansard and o'neill do a good job of carrying that song.

Watched the whole circa 2 hours 40 minutes.
Tom Creagh bringing up a hurley, and Tipp flag and a Shannon Rovers jersey (GAA club from tiny isolated village of Kilbarron) were a few about 25 symbols, Nick Cave showing up late so Imelda and Liam and yer man had sing first before Nick did Rainy Night in Soho, Cait singing a trad song, the guys choir singing lots tunes in Irish, Siobhan and Victoria dancing, Pogues doing two great tunes, lovely memories from Siobhan of Shane as a youngster, Victoria mentioned drugs A LOT in her tribute and thanked Tom Creagh and lots of local contributions. Even the main priest was a fan and knew his stuff.
Stellar tribute to Shane, apparently Glen Hansard organised most of the music.

Only downside was folks outside could barely hear what was happening.
I watched from home.
But did go out earlier to motorway bridge I knew they were going past
A few of the motorcade even acknowledged my salute.
RIP Shane they gave you a hell of a send off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back