People Who Died (5 Viewers)

Well, you and @David Kronenbourg would know his films better for sure

I mostly wanted to confirm that he was indeed a no-nonsense S.O.B.
And as Limmy would say, very funny
There is a brilliant documentary Friedkin Uncut where he is extensively interviewed which I mentioned here some years ago.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Friedkin's first feature - a documentary - saw its subject, an African American man on death row, cleared. Bill interviews Fritz Lang. Bill talks about music and picking Tangerine Dream or The Germs for his films. The controversy around Cruising? i.e. having a serial killer in the gay leather club scene stigmatized gay men?? Bill didn't care, he welcomed it if anything.
There is also lots of footage of a public Q and A session similar to what Deadmanposting mentioned. Great story telling and rapport with the audience.

There are many of his films I haven't seen. I'm definitely not a film buff and it takes a lot to impress me.

With the license of Vim, Moolenaar was an early pioneer of the charityware model; he invited users who appreciated the work to donate to support children in Uganda in lieu of sending a direct donation to himself. According to The Next Web, donations to the charity amounted to about 30,000 euros annually—"enough to help about 50 children finish their education, from primary school to university."

Sorcerer is the movie Bill wanted to be remembered for.
If film directors have a rep for being bastards who will stop at nothing to get their vision on film, Sorcerer definitely lives up to that.
Two of the times the truck came off the wooden rope bridge, Friedkin himself was driving.
If you have never seen Sorcerer, make certain you see the uncut version with the four character's background story vignettes at the start - each one is stunning in its own right.
Never seen a better film.
Very sad news RIP.

Cheeky little Tangerine Dream soundtrack too.

Federico Bahamontes (9 July 1928 - 8 August 2023)
Only just heard this morning that the first Spanish cyclist to win the Tour de France in 1959 died yesterday.
'The Eagle of Toledo' has often been cited as the best mountain climber in the history of the Tour winning the mountains classification six times between 1954 and 1964, when at 36 he was still good enough to finish 3rd and win a stage. Bahamontes abandoned his final Tour in 1965 retiring that year.

After surviving the civil war as a child in a pro-Republican family, Federico finally turned pro in 1953.
In the early 50's the Vuelta Espana was not held for a few years and Bahamontes and Miguel Poblet (1928 - 2014) left to ride for foreign teams becoming Spain's first big international cycling stars.

During Bahamontes time mountain summit finishes were less common (lack of ski stations) and his descending was by all accounts poor. So even the impressive 7 Tour mountain stages he won doesn't do him justice.

Baha never won the Vuelta bitterly saying it was never difficult for him. In Spain his rivalry with Basque climber Jesus Lorono (1926 -1998) defined the era despite Baha being much more famous abroad.
Another mountain rival was another of the greatest climbers Luxembourg's Charly Gaul (1932 - 2005) 1958 Tour and twice Giro winner).
Bahamontes was close friends with Julio Jimenez (1934 - 2022) Tour mountains prize winner (1965-67) who he often traveled around Spain with as guests at cycling events.
Lucien Van Impe (1976 Tour winner) who also won the mountains prize six times is always quick to say Bahamontes (his childhood cycling hero) got him his first pro contract after spotting him in the Tour of Navarra in 1969.

Personality wise Federico had a reputation for being a bit neurotic and recounting his many adventures in the high mountains a fast paced dramatic style.
When Puy de Dome returned to the 2023 Tour de France for the first time since 1988 on Bahamontes 95th birthday many recalled his win there in 1959 en route to Tour victory.

Alasdair Fotheringham's English language bio The Eagle of Toledo: The Life and Times Of Federico Bahamontes, The Tour's Greatest Climber was published in 2013.

took me a few seconds to recognise Carlos Sastre when came on during the first minute.

Was just thinking about Jamie Reid watching that last Spider man film
His aesthetic is all over the London character

Hope he got a few quid, not that it's any use to him now

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back