People Who Died (11 Viewers)

Angela Lansbury, 96 years young. RIP
Strangely, a new fella just moved into town who keeps to himself.....
I was sorry to see this news. I actually met her once, with her husband and a friend of theirs (I think her producer?). I was 16 and working in an architectural salvage yard and they drove up from Cork unannounced to see what we had in the way of granite piers and troughs for her garden. Because she was unnanounced I was in charge of the yard at the time (and the five men who worked there) and the boss (who was a total toady when it came to "famous" people wasn't around. He appeared as I was showing them what we had and giving them some quotes and when he went to take over and shoo me back to the office Ms Landsbury (who could smell his obsequiousness a mile off) said "No thank you, I'd rather finish up our business with S-" with such a gracious smile that he just walked away again. She paid full price, plus delivery. She was friendly and normal, and I think she appreciated me treating her as a normal person. My Mum was furious I didn't ask for an autograph though.

I was sorry to see this news. I actually met her once, with her husband and a friend of theirs (I think her producer?). I was 16 and working in an architectural salvage yard and they drove up from Cork unannounced to see what we had in the way of granite piers and troughs for her garden. Because she was unnanounced I was in charge of the yard at the time (and the five men who worked there) and the boss (who was a total toady when it came to "famous" people wasn't around. He appeared as I was showing them what we had and giving them some quotes and when he went to take over and shoo me back to the office Ms Landsbury (who could smell his obsequiousness a mile off) said "No thank you, I'd rather finish up our business with S-" with such a gracious smile that he just walked away again. She paid full price, plus delivery. She was friendly and normal, and I think she appreciated me treating her as a normal person. My Mum was furious I didn't ask for an autograph though.
And then it turned out your boss was the murderer all along!!

great story Squigs

Because of the dangers that the cult leader posed, Lansbury told her then-husband, Peter Shaw, that the family needed to move. She wanted their children, especially her daughter, as far away from Manson's influence as possible, as her drug addiction was getting worse under his influence. She decided on County Cork, Ireland, which she still visited up until her passing.

"I was drawn to Ireland because it was the birthplace of my mother and it was also somewhere my children wouldn't be exposed to any more bad influences," she explained. "So I refused all work for a year and simply kept house."

her great mate Hurd Hatfield already had a place here so presumably that's why she picked cork..... his place is a swanky guest house now....

Mallow She Wrote

Honestly can't imagine a worse place to go cold turkey than Cork. Super parenting to be fair.
That house in cork is within walking distance of me now. A local bartender here lives in it currently, with his other half who's related to Ms. Lansbury. For ages I didn't know who he was on about, he kept mentioning Ms. Lansbury as if I should know who that was.

edit- oh yeah, my point! There's loads of drugs around here these days. Not sure if all Ireland is like this now, but there's shit loads of coke and other serious enough kinda stuff around. Mightn't be the best detox place in the world now.

robert-gordon-with-link-wray.jpg

R.I.P Robert Gordon

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 16356

R.I.P Robert Gordon

Was also the singer in NY's Tuff Darts

Northern Ireland trade unionist (and ulster unionist), May Blood

also notable for accidentally ending up with the most metal name imaginable after winding up in the house of lords — Baroness Blood

The pair shared an Emmy nomination for outstanding children’s special in 1977 for their work on The Little Drummer Boy Book II and received a Peabody a year later for their animated version of The Hobbit. They also handled an adaptation of another J.R.R. Tolkienproperty, The Return of the King, in 1980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back