Pedal Builds Thread (3 Viewers)

Space

is deep
Supporter
Solutions
I know there's a few people building pedals on here so we should have a thread for it and post some pictures.

Custom DOBKSY FUZZ UNIT for guitar (Russian Big Muff based fuzz). One footswitch switches the second set of clipping diodes form Si to Red 3mm LED for a nice lead/solo boost. Toggle switch is tone Bypass. Should be all finished and shipped this afternoon.

536327_417118671655467_493404338_n.jpg

165840_417118308322170_150000628367274_1280113_83754958_n.jpg

Modded and dressed BYOC Mighty Mouse.

156572_417118611655473_150000628367274_1280121_643122558_n.jpg

Modded/tweaked DOD250, somewhere between grey and yellow specs with a bit more bass.

75286_417119094988758_150000628367274_1280123_366038676_n.jpg

149465_417119154988752_150000628367274_1280125_236135039_n.jpg

this is a deadly idea for a thread :)
I've been trying to get germanium diodes to build a soft clipping distortion, they seem to be pretty rare these days, radionics don't seem to have them at all, neither do farnell. Maplin have a few I think but they're not the specific part number the circuit diagram mentions(OA91) - i guess it probably doesn't matter as long as it's got the lower threshold voltage. Any recommendations on where to get components?

ps I think this is possibly my first ever post, or else my first in about five years, so hello...

nice knob choice for the first one. what did you use to cover the second?

Oldschool Muff knobs! The black is Montana MTN 94 Matte black, bout ten or so coats.

this is a deadly idea for a thread :)
I've been trying to get germanium diodes to build a soft clipping distortion, they seem to be pretty rare these days, radionics don't seem to have them at all, neither do farnell. Maplin have a few I think but they're not the specific part number the circuit diagram mentions(OA91) - i guess it probably doesn't matter as long as it's got the lower threshold voltage. Any recommendations on where to get components?

ps I think this is possibly my first ever post, or else my first in about five years, so hello...

Either ebay or specific effects parts suppliers such as musikding.de or banzaimusic.com. Any particular distortion flavour you're planning on? I only ever use Germanium in fuzzes or Rangemaster replicas.

Thanks Moose that's cool, I'll check out those links :)

I got this book http://books.google.ie/books?id=GNL...T97qJo24hAfB2LzTBQ&ved=0CEMQ6AEwADgK&safe=vss about fifteen years ago and failed miserably at my first attempt to build a pedal and am only really coming back to looking at it again. So I was just going to try and work my way through it - there's an overdrive type circuit in there that uses germanium diodes. Probably stupidly old fashioned to be building stuff out of a book when there's a load of circuit diagrams and how to guides online...

Thanks Moose that's cool, I'll check out those links :)

I got this book http://books.google.ie/books?id=GNL...T97qJo24hAfB2LzTBQ&ved=0CEMQ6AEwADgK&safe=vss about fifteen years ago and failed miserably at my first attempt to build a pedal and am only really coming back to looking at it again. So I was just going to try and work my way through it - there's an overdrive type circuit in there that uses germanium diodes. Probably stupidly old fashioned to be building stuff out of a book when there's a load of circuit diagrams and how to guides online...

you should install a few sockets in the clipping section and get Si diodes, Ge diodes and red mini leds, - that way you can easily swap them arround.
I find Ge to be very mushy and compressed sounding. Red LEDs are nice and crunchy.
and as regards books - I have an old guitar wiring book that I always fall back on.

Pretty much what he Johnny said there. If you just need a few germanium diodes I could sell you a couple save you worrying about postage unless you want to order more than that. I had read the original post wrong and picked it up as Germanium transistors, sorry.

thanks Johnny - using sockets and swapping stuff in and out sounds like a good idea

Moose - I'll PM you about the Ge diodes!

Really need to get back into building pedals again! Got frustrated trying to track down the various components and stuff. Could rarely get them all from the one shop so had multiple orders from a few different shops. Was made worse once I got into building synth stuff too, which in turn sent me down the rabbit-hole which is modular synths.

Moose, you ever build stuff in 1590A enclosures? Would love an SHO in one.

I built a buffer for lad in one (buffer from the Klon to be exact), same as any other enclosure really. I was using Banzai but they can be very slow and uncommunicative about how long back ordered stuff is going to be so trying to stick with Musikding and Ebay at the moment. Need to get some cash together just put in a big order from Tayda or a Chinese supplier.

Feel free to ask me for components too, especially if it's just a few resistors/transistors/caps or whatever.

I built a buffer for lad in one (buffer from the Klon to be exact), same as any other enclosure really. I was using Banzai but they can be very slow and uncommunicative about how long back ordered stuff is going to be so trying to stick with Musikding and Ebay at the moment. Need to get some cash together just put in a big order from Tayda or a Chinese supplier.

Feel free to ask me for components too, especially if it's just a few resistors/transistors/caps or whatever.

Aw thanks for the offer dude! Not too sure what to try and build next to be honest. Looking to put together a nice simple doom board with a Meathead, some form of overdrive and a boost. May try find something else to squeeze in there and build that.

My favourite boost at the moment is the EP Booster but you already have a Rangemaster so that might have you covered. Have you got a Rat, that'd probably be my choice for Doom although I'd just go with more fuzz myself. :D

Really need to get back into building pedals again! Got frustrated trying to track down the various components and stuff. Could rarely get them all from the one shop so had multiple orders from a few different shops. Was made worse once I got into building synth stuff too, which in turn sent me down the rabbit-hole which is modular synths.

Moose, you ever build stuff in 1590A enclosures? Would love an SHO in one.

banzai seem to be having serious problems with stuff being backordered at the moment. last 3 orders I placed all had problems...

I wouldn't mind so much if they would let you know, I had pots ordered for a month which I needed fairly urgently and it turned out they had got them in but hadn't got the mic cradle that I didn't really need at all so didn't send out either. So I got them off musikding who had them with me in 3 days and eventually just cancelled the order with banzai.

I wouldn't mind so much if they would let you know, I had pots ordered for a month which I needed fairly urgently and it turned out they had got them in but hadn't got the mic cradle that I didn't really need at all so didn't send out either. So I got them off musikding who had them with me in 3 days and eventually just cancelled the order with banzai.

its a pity really - I used to find their service pretty great all round.
musikding is definitely a faster option..

Yeah likewise. Maybe business has picked up for them and they're still getting used to dealing with more orders, if that's the case then hopefully it'll level out again.

My favourite boost at the moment is the EP Booster but you already have a Rangemaster so that might have you covered. Have you got a Rat, that'd probably be my choice for Doom although I'd just go with more fuzz myself. :D

Yeah the Rangemaster wasn't quite giving me the tone I'm looking for. Looking like I'll need 2 boosters. An SHO at the end of the chain to tighten up the sound a little (probably always on) and a simple boost at the start for giving a little extra oomph into my Supercollider. May use an LPB for that job.

I have a Rat alright. In fact it's an 80's one. Should really open it up and see what type it is!

Moose just built me a delay. Dunno what it's modelled on, but I'm thinking of selling my MXR Carbon Copy. It's that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back