• Thread starter roxy
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

roxy

Website
Visit site
Anyone else have neck stiffness in the mornings? I don't mean as bad or sharp as a crick, but kind of a duller ache all over neck and shoulders. I get it every morning but it's been worse of late. I have a sneaky suspicion that I hunch my shoulders a bit when I'm asleep - is that even possible?

Tried changing pillows so many times. And I don't have the pillow too high.... wrecks me head so it does.

Anyone tried one of those Tempura pillows?

..maybe I'm getting arthritis....I crack my neck a lot.... I crack lots of joints...

...anyone watching Primetime Investigates last night about Chiropractic medicine and the levels of paralysis and death caused by neck and spine manipulation (where your neck is forcibly cracked...)

Is this post a bit random?

hmmm, maybe it's a temperature thing. Many people complain about draughts at night giving them joint aches or muscle ache; are you leaving windows open at night? bringing on the it's-not-summer-yet syndrome

I keep getting middle back pain in the mornings, no fun, but i'm old...

I do the joint cracking thing too, much vindication on reading an article a few months ago thet says this doesn't appear to cause arthritis in later life.

roxy said:
...anyone watching Primetime Investigates last night about Chiropractic medicine and the levels of paralysis and death caused by neck and spine manipulation (where your neck is forcibly cracked...)
I went to a chiropractor for a bit. I really only went cos Niamh (my WIFE!) was going (she had a neck problem), there was nothing really wrong with me and at the time I had plenty of money. Didn't really do anything for me, and failed for fix Niamh's neck problem - provided temporary relief for her alright, but to get it sorted it took a physio

broken arm said:
do you dream in heavy metal?[/QUOTE

:)

nah....but I'm convinced my dog does. She dreams a lot and earlier on it looked like she was trying to do a windmill and bark some lyrics with her mouth closed.

You think I'm joking...I'm not...

Anyway, nah it's not a draft issue.

I don't know that many people who put a lot of stock in chiropractors. My acupuncturist reluctantly suggested I visit one once, to put my spine back in order. Because I'm a mangled mess of injuries, my alignment is a bit off, and I end up carrying my arms too high when I run, which constricts my lungs. As a result, I haven't been able to breathe properly for about a month. She was smart, though, a doctor would not have found such a simple explanation.

Anyway, she's fixing me up with massage, needles, and exercises. She's still reluctant about the chiropractor, and so am I.

Roxy, do you spend a lot ot time working on a computer? Or hunched over? Try stretching out your back, neck and arms a few times a day. I work on a laptop a lot, and if I spend too long in front of it, I get stiff, and I'm usually stiffest in the morning.

egg_ said:
I really only went cos Niamh (my WIFE!) was going

What's with the caps and exclamation mark?
Has someone been calling you a queer?

And Jane, of late I have been on the computer more than usual, for college purposes. By "of late", I mean almost daily since early march.

Thankfully I'll be done with that craic soon enough.

Anyone ever jerk their neck by accident and get a warm feeling and a horrible momentary paralysis in the neck region? It's happened to me a few times throughout my life - so unpleasant.

I used to sit in front of a computer for years. I had a constant pain in the right shoulder from it. 10 days of yoga, 2 hours per day, completely cleared it up. But in the long term it would have come back I'm sure. However, where I work they have strict policy on health regulations and so I had to do a course in ergonomics when I started here. And it really works. I've had no RSI or soreness of back/shoulders in the two years I've been here - and I use a PC pretty much all day every day. The basics are that you should keep the keyboard as low as possible - if you don't have a carriage for it, keep it on your lap. And also that you should try to sit up straight with the top of your monitor at eye level.

kirstie said:
Roxy - it's probably stress. Do you grind your teeth?

thankfully no.

I'm not worried about my finals starting in three days though. I mean the window of opportunity for being stressed is rather great. But I'm not. Maybe my subconscious is under siege.

explosion-semipalatinsk-moratoire.jpg

ah yeah, I usually am.

All joking aside, (I am such a wag) it probably is just worry and strain. Finals is horrible, I used to find myself on the bus on the way to college when I was in my final year with my fists clenched and my jaw clamped shut.

agh. I feel your pain. I had terrible (muscle, not joint related) back pains for a lot of my teenage years, from sleeping in a really shit bed and from acting like a mopey hunchback in general. I took up playing drums which actually helped loads, because it's great exercise for the back muscles etc. and if you're sitting in front of a computer loads, it probably is some kind of muscular tension. I get seriously sore muscular pain around shoulder region if I have to drive long distances. and I sit in front of a computer lots too. doesn't help.

so uh, hit a drumkit if you can. or try some kind of back exercise..

I would recommend an osteopath, much gentler than a chirotractor

also try turning your matress over

I was getting these totally insane headaches at the back of my head for a couple of months a couple of years back. Really freaked me out. I was also waking in the morning with really stiff shoulders and neck so the Doctor told me it was probably due to slouching at my desk at work and the tense muscles were causing pain to travel up my neck to my head. He told me to sit straighter in my chair and every few mins to exercise my neck muscles by moving my head from side to side and forward and back and standing every so often stretching my arms fully upwards. Totally worked, headaches disappeared and neck muscles no longer sore in the morning. Give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back