Over used scales (1 Viewer)

drkdrk

Website
www.myspace.com
Lately i find i've been playing the E major scale absolutely everywhere. everytime i sit down to pen a tune i immediatley play something in E maj. and the damn minor pentatonic too, just can't help myself.
Anyone got a similar problem?

Do you mean you play everything in the key of E major or minor...?

My musical theory isn't the best

Stick it in a different tuning and let yr bearings get lost. Whenever I'm bored with standard tuning I go for

GCDGBE or mebbe DADGAD

(Actually, isn't DADGAD the folky one every hippy uses? The other one is quite Sonic Youthy)

I know Godspeed you Black Emperor named their first album after the tuning the guitars were in.

Stick it in a different tuning and let yr bearings get lost. Whenever I'm bored with standard tuning I go for

GCDGBE or mebbe DADGAD

(Actually, isn't DADGAD the folky one every hippy uses? The other one is quite Sonic Youthy)

I tuned to D A D F# A D one day, so an open chord would play D.
You know, nothing fancy, for a laugh, and I enjoyed it.

So I mentioned this in conversation to some musical mates. And one of them gave me a stern talking to about using different tunings. I don’t know what they are or how they are used. I’ll just end up doing things that I could probably easily do in a standard tuning, so therefore what was the point of doing it other than to be a wanker, disguising novelty as cleverness? The other two sat silently, occasionally furrowing their brows and nodding in agreement.

…..It was just a bit of fun lads. I haven’t been able to bring myself to touch the heads since :(

I tuned to D A D F# A D one day, so an open chord would play D.

Rory Gallagher uses that a lot

I think if you change the F# to...something else.... you get the "Out on the Western Plain" tunning

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You should all switch to the Harmonic Minor. The crown prince of scales.
Yo, I hear ya. To get out of a rut, I started messing about with the Am natural the other day. I never really got in theory how playing the same chords as C would make any difference, but it really does. Same goes for modes, but as soon as I got it in my head that Am natural is the Aeolian mode, it all made sense. I'm also gonna mess around with the minor harmonic and melodic, and the whole-tone and whole-tone-half-tone scales for the laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back