Over used scales (1 Viewer)

I tuned to D A D F# A D one day, so an open chord would play D.
You know, nothing fancy, for a laugh, and I enjoyed it.

So I mentioned this in conversation to some musical mates. And one of them gave me a stern talking to about using different tunings. I don’t know what they are or how they are used. I’ll just end up doing things that I could probably easily do in a standard tuning, so therefore what was the point of doing it other than to be a wanker, disguising novelty as cleverness? The other two sat silently, occasionally furrowing their brows and nodding in agreement.

…..It was just a bit of fun lads. I haven’t been able to bring myself to touch the heads since :(

They're just jealous seanc. They don't want you leaving them for dust, playing stuff they can't get their heads around..|..|

While we're at it, chords; strummers that end the phrase with Dmaj - Dsus4 - Dmaj. makes me want to tear my hair out.

Yeah I dislike when it's when it's at the end of the phrase/verse or the conclusion of a chord progression. It's like, oh wow, I see what you just did there. Inventive!

harmonic minor is delicious. I like the mixolydian too. I've been trying this diminished arpeggio run that's upsettingly difficult if you're a turd like me. well difficult to do it fast - which is usually how it's done. it's like watching a spider tear it up the neck. creepy.

While we're at it, chords; strummers that end the phrase with Dmaj - Dsus4 - Dmaj. makes me want to tear my hair out.

or a jaunty Dmaj - Dsus4 - Dsus2 - Dmaj

it's an old Peter Buck trick, it's basically so ingrained in my head from my REM obsessive days that I had to sort of train myself of it...

see also:
that same trick in A
the C to Cadd9 shuffle
always always playing D/Fshp in between a G and an Em

eastern type scale for messing with in E:

0 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 11 - 12.

its the pulp fiction one basically. the chords in it are mad but i'm not doing them now.

Lately i find i've been playing the E major scale absolutely everywhere. everytime i sit down to pen a tune i immediatley play something in E maj. and the damn minor pentatonic too, just can't help myself.
Anyone got a similar problem?

Learning about modes can give you some more options as far as playing over chords.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back