Ordinary Heroes (1 Viewer)

Wormo said:
Big swingin mickey, I used to walk up the hellfire club from the carpark every sunday. So did my dog and she was only tiny.

They aint exactly heros but I encounter people everyday who are dealing with more adversity than I could fathom. I feel really lucky to meet em.

Should have been at that launch of "The Mental" tonight.
Kinda harrowing.

first of all, double amputees are not ordinary. they're freaks.

second of all, anyone can climb a mountain if they can be arsed training and get a shitload of money to pay for all the fancy equipment.

this man is no more an ordinary hero than i am a donner kebab.

oh shit said:
first of all, double amputees are not ordinary. they're freaks.

second of all, anyone can climb a mountain if they can be arsed training and get a shitload of money to pay for all the fancy equipment.

this man is no more an ordinary hero than i am a donner kebab.

what, did you want the mountain to be on fire aswell while being bombed by migs? would that have made it more impressive?

i'm chiding you, as you are me.

you were, weren't you? damn you B, i'd fucking love a falafel kebab now.

Curiously the whole money thing seems to be the biggest obstacle with climbing Everest these days.

Still a great achievement none the less especially with no legs.

no, i'm just winding you up. sorry.

but while i'm here...i do enjoy crazy stories, though i'm generally more impressed by people who overcome obstacles that they didn't willingly submit to. deciding to try and climb over a treacherous mountain or dive into a bottomless cave - who does that benefit? what's "heroic" about saving your own life, from a mess that you got yourself into?

if the mountain was on fire and being bombed by migs, and he knew about it beforehand, then it's not very heroic. more impressive though. if he didn't know about it beforehand, it's even more impressive, but still not that heroic. if, however, he climbed the mountain to rescue a kitten that was in danger of burning to death, or being blown up by a bomb dropped from a mig, then that is extremely heroic.

i think it's a little to do with semantics too; the term 'heroic' can mean different things to people. i think in my first post i said 'people who inspire you' which might make it a bit clearer. (i probably should have worded it differently)

from my point of view, this is a guy who lost his legs. i can only imagine the different process involved from the pain and feeling of grief and almost bereavement, to the rehabilitation of learning to adjust to wearing prosthetics. obviously you need money to climb mountains, but it's the "i'm not gonna let this stop me" attitude that i greatly admire. i've trekked up plenty of mountains in a wide variety of conditions and it's physically the hardest thing i've ever done. ok i'm normally carrying a snowboard, but walking uphill through snow for long periods of time is difficult. and this is when i'm at my peak of fitness. combine that with the kind of gradients you'd expect from everest in it's various stages (jeeeeeeeesus you'd never catch me doin it!) and it kinda makes me go 'hmmmm, that guy went up everest with prosthetic legs. he's a total dude."

but getting to your point about reasons: i guess he wanted to overcome his situation. the fact that he didnt necessarily do it for anyone else (or a kitten...awwwwww!) doesnt take from it, i dont think.
;)

La La said:
aye. you wouldnt see him collapsed in a doorway.....:rolleyes:
hehe, I would give ya PP for that but apparently I have given out too much in the last 24 hours,mainly cos I am in a great mood cos I am so glad to be home lol

JANER said:
hehe, I would give ya PP for that but apparently I have given out too much in the last 24 hours,mainly cos I am in a great mood cos I am so glad to be home lol

haha janer it's a great fuckin story though, i was laughing heatily when i read it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back