Oedipus Loves You (1 Viewer)

simp

OEDIPUS LOVES YOU returns to Dublin following world tour (26 NOV – 6 DEC)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pan Pan’s Oedipus Loves You has been rocking international audiences at performances in twenty cities across nine different countries, from Berlin to Beijing, Hamburg to Helsinki, London, Quebec and Shanghai. Now after two years on the road the show comes home to Dublin featuring the cast from its most recent, critically acclaimed New York run at PS122.

“The members of the doomed house of Oedipus have thrown together their own garage band. It’s part of a family therapy project, which they sorely need, and nobody’s quite in control. But, you know, they sound pretty good, especially considering that the lead vocalist has just gouged out his eyes, and the chief backup singer is dead.”
New York Times.

By Simon Doyle and Gavin Quinn
Director Gavin Quinn
Cast Aoife Duffin, Ned Dennehy, Bush Moukarzel, Gina Moxley, Dylan Tighe
Lighting Aedin Cosgrave
Set Design Andrew Clancy
Costume Design Helen McCusker
Music by Gordon Is a Mime

Project Arts Centre,
East Essex Street, Dublin 2.

Thurs 27th Nov - Sat 6th December, 8pm (no show on Sunday).

Tickets €22 / €17 (concession). Preview Wed 26th Nov, 8pm, tickets €15.
For details of special offers for students and groups contact box office.
Booking: www.project.ie / Tel (+353 (0)1) 881 9613

National and International Reviews of Oedipus Loves You

“Wonderful” Time Out New York ****

“…Excellent! A breath of fresh air for connoisseurs of theatre.”
New York Times *****

“…approaches the sublime… the songs are first-rate ear candy” Variety

“Listen carefully. Go see this show. It’s the future of theatre.” Backstage.com

“Oedipus Rex? Perhaps. Oedipus Rocks? Definitely” Village Voice

“If you are easily offended or mildly faint hearted perhaps skip the first five minutes.” The Irish Catholic

“…theatre so good you’ll gouge your eyes out” FWD Calgary

“…Sophocles meets the Royle Family” Glasgow Herald

“Sex, music and muesli” Rheinische Post

“well worth the tinnitus and the hangover” Neue Ruhr Zeitung

“In Oedipus Loves You…, it is the director, Gavin Quinn, who is God… wickedly funny” Irish Times

“…Jerry Springer moments, rock music and mutilation.” The Guardian

“Ned Dennehy’s Sphinx is worthy of an Aphex Twin video” Irish Independent

“This is a sensational new take on an ancient story, full of bleak postmodern insight into the impact of power and wealth on family relationships, featuring a brilliantly poised and witty Irish A-list cast.” The Scotsman

*Oedipus Loves You: venues toured to date: USA: NEW YORK, PS122; Columbus, Ohio, WEXNER CENTER; CHINA: BEIJING, Oriental Pioneer; SHANGHAI, Arts Theatre; GERMANY: BERLIN, HEBBEL am Ufer; HAMBURG, Schauspielhaus; LEIPZIG, Euro-Scene; DÜSSELDORF, FFT; SCOTLAND: GLASGOW, Arches; UK: LONDON, Riverside Studios; SWITZERLAND: BERNE, Auawirleben; AUSTRIA: Festival Art Carnuntum; IRELAND: KILKENNY Arts Festival; FINLAND: ESPOO City Theatre; CANADA: QUEBEC CITY, Recto Verso; CALGARY, High Performance Rodeo; BANFF Centre; EDMONTON, Timms Centre; LETHBRIDGE, Now Playing Series.

This previews today - please PM me before 5pm if you'd like a +1 for tonight's show...

Feature in today's Irish Times:

" HELLO. MY NAME is Oedipus, and I think I've been unhappy for a very long time." That long time is more than 2,000 years, when he first turns up in Homer's Odyssey , killing his father, marrying his mother and spawning a cultural fascination with unconscious desire that still resonates today. And in Oedipus Loves You , Pan Pan Theatre's postmodern parody of psychoanalytic culture, the miserable legacy lives on.
First performed in October 2006, Oedipus Loves You is a brilliantly ironic reworking of the Oedipus myth, fleshing the mythic story out with the Freudian paradigms of modern therapy culture. The ancient family becomes an experimental punk-rock band who, in the words of the blind seer Tiresias, the band's lead singer and therapist, "reconstruct the Greeks with a contemporary edge". Gordon is a Mime's pulsing score provides the characters with opportunities for confession - Antigone is "antigonised" in Miss Dun Leary ; Creon reveals underlying sexual anxieties in Play Pool ; a castrato laments his androgyny in CrackerAss - while the ancient gods controlling their destinies become director Gavin Quinn, who manipulates a miniature of this stage-world from the side-lines.
Since the premiere of Pan Pan's highly conceptualised production two years ago in Smock Alley's studio space, Oedipus Loves You has toured to more than 20 cities, including Berlin, Beijing, Helsinki, London, Quebec, New York and Shanghai. Now taking residency at the Project for 10 performances, if Pan Pan were a band - and in Oedipus Loves You , they might as well be - you could call it a homecoming tour.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2008/1201/1227910397791.html

2-for-1 deal on tickets all week - just mention at the box office when booking...

tell me simp, did you travel the world as well? that'd be some gig.

I only got to go to London, Quebec, Berlin and Kilkenny.

I'm raging that I missed New York and Shanghai/Beijing...

But it was pretty cool seeing Blixa Bargeld in the crowd in Berlin...

How long does this run for?
Runs until Saturday - Details in the top post - 2-For-1 Deal all week (just mention it at box office)...

Sunday Tribune review:-

Pan Pan theatre company have brought this around the world for the past two years, and it comes back to Dublin with the added lustre of an enthusiastic review from The New York Times's Ben Brantley. (Brantley was on the money: you'll find his smart, more detailed review easily on the NYT website.) This is a rendering of the Oedipus myth (killed his father, bedded his mother, gouged his eyes out) in modern suburbia, complete with garage band and family therapy sessions. The tunes are rock solid, the humour is icy, the acting is artful deadpan and the cumulative effect is surprisingly affecting. And most importantly, in Aoife Dufin, as Antigone, they have discovered a star.
http://www.tribune.ie/arts/other/article/2008/nov/30/theatre-worth-waiting-for-the-killer-punch/

I only got to go to London, Quebec, Berlin and Kilkenny.

I'm raging that I missed New York and Shanghai/Beijing...

But it was pretty cool seeing Blixa Bargeld in the crowd in Berlin...
that's still not a bad haul. i mean, considering. this year i got to galway. that's about it.

Runs until Saturday - Details in the top post - 2-For-1 Deal all week (just mention it at box office)...

I tried to book for Saturday with the offer.

Box office initially didn't know what I was talking about.

Then they eventually said that if it's the Facebook offer, it's only for tonight.

I tried to book for Saturday with the offer.

Box office initially didn't know what I was talking about.

Then they eventually said that if it's the Facebook offer, it's only for tonight.

Sorry - I was misinformed - the 2-for-1 deal is for tonight only - but PM me if you'd like the deal for another night, and I can most likely sort it out...

Another review:-

I haven’t seen a show by Pan Pan Theatre Company before. I am, I realise now, much the poorer for it. My recent doubts about the state of Irish theatre, its lack of edge and intelligence, are completely dispelled after seeing Oedipus Loves You at the Project.​
There is one week left to see them in this production, before they hit the road again and continue their seemingly unceasing well-deserved tours around the world, with other shows. This production, however, has toured to more than 20 cities, including Berlin, Beijing, Helsinki, London, Quebec, New York and Shanghai. Please, please, please, go here now and book your tickets to see what the rest of the world has enjoyed.You will be rewarded with a scintillating assault on the senses, a hilarious piss-take of the Oedipus complex, barbecues, Freud, mythology, dysfunctional families and therapy games, in an exhilarating 90-minute roller-coaster ride. And there’s music too. And nakedness. And sausages.
http://bonhom.ie/2008/12/review-oedipus-loves-you-project-theatre-dublin.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back