Now That's What I Call Music (1 Viewer)

i been thinking about some shitty early ninties dance compilations i used to have when i was a young un, mostly they had early prodigy and trance stuff, total mainline commercial stuff but i remember at the time i thought the trance was mad stuff. any have any of these or know what they might be called?

i been thinking about some shitty early ninties dance compilations i used to have when i was a young un, mostly they had early prodigy and trance stuff, total mainline commercial stuff but i remember at the time i thought the trance was mad stuff. any have any of these or know what they might be called?

Euphoria? There were loads of them. I went through a phase (a short one thankfully) of buying and listening to them.

So, who here has all the Shine compilations? I don't have any but I did have all of them taped at one stage. Some good stuff on them.

it might have been a year or two before that golden 'euphoria' period, i think when i get a bit more spare time then the scant 23hours a day that i'm currently scraping by on i'll take a look for these, i'd say there's one good compilation/playlist in it if i look through em. i had one shine, but i think it ended up skipping and i lost the head with it.

can these people not burn cds?

They could

Early NOW CDs go for serious money. Despite the fact that you could obtain all the individual tracks via CD or legal download for much, much less than that.

but it's the collectors fetish for the real deal. In this case, it beggars belief.

can never really understand collecting cds... horrible format.

no way. CDs rock. They're like a badge of honour, displaying them in your front room or wherever. Ya can't do that with feckin mp3s.

I got my first CD in 1991. It was 'On Every Street' by Dire Straits around the time they played the point. The whole thing was a bit disappointing. To this day its CDs all the way for me. Its second only to vinyl, but vinyl has gone a bit ridiculous since its revival.

can never really understand collecting cds... horrible format.

Not as horrible as cassettes and mp3s.
CDs and vinyl are both deadly and happily co-exist in my collection.

CDs are essential for the 'multi-disc retrospective box set' concept - something which often is more than just a few discs in a cardboard box. The format is rapidly falling victim to the loudness wars though - as major crimes are committed in the name of remastering. I never thought I would hark back to the days of flat sounding 1980s CDs but give me them than the over-compressed ear-bleeders that are being pushed out nowadays. At least the old discs sound good with the volume up.

Vinyl artwork is naturally nicer but the format did itself no favours with the multitude of crappy LP pressings which were rife in the early 1980s and continued for over a decade. As the music industry geared up for the kill in the early 1990s (which was unsuccesful) single LPs were used to cram more and more music onto each side (Single LPs exceeding 60 mins duration were not uncommon) which meant for a lot of shit sounding albums with no dynamic bass.

The penchant for artists releasing longer albums in recent years means that most vinyl versions are double or triple LPs.
Soundwise - great. Not so convenient if you have to get up four times in one sitting.
35 - 40 minute albums should be the norm but aren't.

wax-cylinder.jpg

Not as horrible as cassettes and mp3s.
CDs and vinyl are both deadly and happily co-exist in my collection.

CDs are essential for the 'multi-disc retrospective box set' concept - something which often is more than just a few discs in a cardboard box. The format is rapidly falling victim to the loudness wars though - as major crimes are committed in the name of remastering. I never thought I would hark back to the days of flat sounding 1980s CDs but give me them than the over-compressed ear-bleeders that are being pushed out nowadays. At least the old discs sound good with the volume up.

Vinyl artwork is naturally nicer but the format did itself no favours with the multitude of crappy LP pressings which were rife in the early 1980s and continued for over a decade. As the music industry geared up for the kill in the early 1990s (which was unsuccesful) single LPs were used to cram more and more music onto each side (Single LPs exceeding 60 mins duration were not uncommon) which meant for a lot of shit sounding albums with no dynamic bass.

The penchant for artists releasing longer albums in recent years means that most vinyl versions are double or triple LPs.
Soundwise - great. Not so convenient if you have to get up four times in one sitting.
35 - 40 minute albums should be the norm but aren't.

have to disagree on tapes. a good tape player, like a nak, & chrome cassette lp, sounds way better than a standard cd copy of the same - even allowing for the inherent limitations of tape & the rolloff in high frequencies.

of course youve still got the same problem with cds of shitty packaging.

the only thing cds have, as you say, is convenience. but by that reasoning mp3s would be the format of choice.

Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

The Nows went a bit pear shaped when stock-aitken and waterman started ruling the world. My guess is that was around Now 6.

Well, yeah, cause that's when pop music went crap (I won't say "pear-shaped" cause, frankly, as a pear-shaped woman, using my own shape in a derogatory manner is just wrong ;)). But people 5-10 years older than me think it all went wrong much earlier than that, I guess it's all to do with the age you are when you first hear music.

Good thing it did go crap though or I'd never have switched off mainstream radio in disgust and gone looking for something more interesting!

h
of course youve still got the same problem with cds of shitty packaging.

the only thing cds have, as you say, is convenience. but by that reasoning mp3s would be the format of choice.

CDs sound better than mp3s - to my ears.

CD packaging is better than no packaging at all.
Plus they are a physical format. mp3s are not. Having all your music stored on an iPOD or PC horrifies me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back