• Replies 16
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 1

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Saw the rednecks play in Limerick once where they set up their stuff in the centre of the room, all faced each other, and rocked out

We're playing at my sister-in-law's 21st in Jan, and I was thinking of giving that a shot just for the laugh. Reckon it'd be possible for a band with 2 vocals? We'd have no PA, just monitors - would people be able hear what was going on?

Gigs without a stage are great.

Don't see how you can get away with no PA when you got vocals though ....

Surely you should get hold of a basic PA for the vocals and don't bother with monitors ...

you just need to have the p.a. pointing away from ye. the mic can't be pointing into the speaker. right?
dan deacon did this last night. deadly.

i've done gigs with a stage placed in the centre of a room (with PA at the end of the room) works better with no monitors.

it's a question of EQ ing the PA properly to do it this way.

I seem to remember Crayonsmith playing in the Lower Deck using a set of monitors as the PA. this can work too, depends how big the venue is as Monitors do not have much 'Throw'

maybe you should get hold of kevin shields and ask his opinion...

the only difference between PA speakers and monitors is the direction theyre facing. We're you going to set up monitors to hear yourselves sing and then not have any speakers facing into the audience? Thats pointless.

i've done gigs with a stage placed in the centre of a room (with PA at the end of the room) works better with no monitors.

That sounds like the ticket. As long as you can still hear yourself singing.

when we played with whitehouse there i took one look at the stage and refused to get up on it so we played on the floor. your man from whitehouse subsequently fell off the stage and broke his ribs. dexta:1. stage:0.

Saw the rednecks play in Limerick once where they set up their stuff in the centre of the room, all faced each other, and rocked out

sunn did that in galway last year, best time i ever saw them.

Most gigs in Limerick have no stage at all. There was one period of time when Bakers underground had an inverse stage (performers set up on the floor below the crowds)

The band in one spot, the sound coming from another? That's just weird, dontcha think?

Not really because it's just going to be the vocals coming from somewhere else. Put the amps beside the band in the middle of the floor and just put the vocals through the PA

Not really because it's just going to be the vocals coming from somewhere else. Put the amps beside the band in the middle of the floor and just put the vocals through the PA
Even weirder, dontcha think? Music coming from one part of the room, vocals from another, like some old Toots and the Maytals record

How does Dan Deacon do it? Is the PA beside him when he's doing a gig?

Even weirder, dontcha think? Music coming from one part of the room, vocals from another, like some old Toots and the Maytals record

How does Dan Deacon do it? Is the PA beside him when he's doing a gig?

lightning bolt do it too. youtube them maybe.

we did it before in Cork, with the vocals through PA thing and it was fine I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back