No More Deaths On Our Streets (4 Viewers)

StreetSeen

Website
www.streetseennews.blogspot.com
No More Deaths On Our Streets
Housing Is A Right Not A Privilege

Saturday 17 September @ 2pm
Central Bank
Dame Street
Dublin 2

The recent tragic deaths of two ‘homeless’ people in Dublin highlights the Governments acute inadequacies in serving its citizens. On a weekly basis people die needlessly on Irish streets due to the acute lack of housing and lack of services to those in need. In response to these recent deaths Street Seen, Irish Anti-Poverty Paper, are calling on people to protest in Dublin saying clearly enough is enough: No More Deaths On Our Streets

Numbers of people sleeping rough in Dublin city centre remain at record high levels, according to a new survey conducted by homeless organisations. Two hundred and thirty seven (237) people sleep rough in Dublin on any given night. These people are vulnerable to changes in the weather, violence, abuse and sexual exploitation. The survey co-ordinated by the Homeless Agency was carried out by Focus Ireland, Dublin Simon Community, Merchant’s Quay Ireland along with Dublin City Council and other homeless services

It was only with the introduction of the Housing Act in 1988 that any kind of national assessments of homelessness by Local Authorities were carried out. Although the early assessments were deeply flawed the most recent one (2002) found that a record 5,581 people were homeless throughout the state (according to the Housing Act definition). The majority of these were in Dublin. The Homeless Agency also co-ordinated a separate assessment for Dublin. This counted 2,920 homeless people in Dublin in 2002. There are currently 48,413 households on the housing waiting lists nationally and 5,581 people who are homeless. The vast majority of these live in emergency hostels and B&B accommodation on a night-by-night basis

Not only has the number of homeless households increased substantially over the years but the crisis in social/public housing has also deepened. The slow-down in the construction of social housing by the local authorities in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the rise in the cost of renting private accommodation and the increasing cost of purchasing a property have lead to an increased demand for social housing.

Housing charity Threshold recently called on the Government to prevent the creation of modern-day slums by radically improving living conditions in private rental accommodation. Threshold in its 2004 Annual Report, showed the number of calls from people living in unfit accommodation had risen by more than a third last year. Conditions people were reporting included problems with hot and cold running water, mould growing on walls, vermin infestations and living in windowless rooms, Threshold claimed local authorities were failing in their duty to inspect privately-rented accommodation, with only 7,232 of an estimated 150,000 dwellings checked by inspectors. According to the report, almost 30% of inspected properties were found to be falling below minimum standards.

Homelessness means more than just sleeping rough. If you are living in Ireland in a hostel or bed and breakfast or staying temporarily with friends because you have nowhere else to go, you are homeless.

Street Seen is calling on all those individuals, groups and organisations who wish to see the end of avoidable deaths on Irish Streets and homelessness to support this demonstration as a matter of urgency.

No More Deaths On Our Streets
Saturday 17 September @ 2pm
Central Bank
Dame Street
Dublin 2

Further Details:
Jon Glackin 0774 327 5533
Mark Grehan 087 797 4622

Supported by:
Street Seen
Fr. Peter McVerry
Mick O’Reilly, Reg. Sec. TGWU
Ray O’Reilly, Asst. Gen. Sec. IWU
International Homeless Forum http://www.forums.homeless.org.au/
Residents Against Racism

StreetSeen said:
The recent tragic deaths of two ‘homeless’ people in Dublin highlights the Governments acute inadequacies in serving its citizens.

what was that about?

I don't live in ireland at the moment...

broken arm said:
what was that about?

I don't live in ireland at the moment...
irish times from saturday:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2005/0910/3659798082HM1HOMELESS.html

Two homeless found dead in 12-hour period

Gardaí were last night trying to positively identify the bodies of two homeless people who were found dead within a 12-hour period on the south side of Dublin city centre, writes John Downes

The remains of the two deceased, one male and one female, were found separately within walking distance of the Camden Street and Harcourt Street areas of the city.

The body of the female, understood to have been in her 30s and sleeping rough, was discovered lying in a back alleyway off Camden Street at 10pm on Thursday evening.

The second body was discovered at 8.45am yesterday by staff at the nearby Sancta Maria hostel on Charlemont Street, after he failed to come down for breakfast.

Management at the hostel yesterday refused to comment on the incident.

However, it is understood that the man, thought to be in his late 30s or early 40s, had been staying in emergency accommodation at the hostel for between four and five days.

He had stayed there once before.

The scene of the homeless woman's death was sealed off by gardaí yesterday afternoon pending further forensic investigation.

One homeless man, who is said to have known the woman well, described her as someone "who would do anything for you.

"She would always look to cheer you up, no matter how little money she had . . . She would give you some of her can, even if it was all she had," he said.

Gardaí are confident neither death is suspicious, although a full postmortem is expected to be carried out.

A spokeswoman for the Garda press office said the identity of both of the deceased had been established provisionally .

However, gardaí are awaiting the formal positive identification of the bodies.

A 2004 survey conducted by homeless organisations in Dublin city, and coordinated by the Homeless Agency, indicated that some 237 people sleep rough in Dublin city centre on a regular basis.

These people are vulnerable to changes in the weather, violence, abuse and sexual exploitation.

When contacted for comment, Alice Leahy, director of the homeless charity Trust, said homeless people dying on the streets of Dublin is now "almost a weekly occurrence".

She said her organisation has seen a marked increase in the number of people looking to use its services.

"It is horrific that two people have been found dead geographically so near to each other," she said.

"We're not hearing about these deaths. It is a very serious issue and we can't deny it."

Just recieved word that a 17 year old homeless youth also died at the weekend in Dublin....

There is a crisis on Irish Streets and it is essential that we can get as many people onto the Streets to protest against the simple fact that hundreds of people are consigned to live on the streets everyday....

I would also appeal that people who are free to attend the protest could bring along any spare Sleeping Bags, Blankets and non-perishable foodstuffs for distribution to those in need by Focus Ireland Outreach..

Saturdays event will be the start of weekly collections in Dublin City Centre of basic items that we all take for granted...

!bing If anybody is free Thursday lunchtime/evening or Friday for leafleting/Flyposting/chalking can they email me or PM me

StreetSeen said:
There is a crisis on Irish Streets and it is essential that we can get as many people onto the Streets to protest against the simple fact that hundreds of people are consigned to live on the streets everyday....

Continuing drug use is one of the main reasons why homeless people remain homeless says NACD

http://www.nacd.ie/news/launch_event14042004.html

spiritualtramp said:
Continuing drug use is one of the main reasons why homeless people remain homeless says NACD

http://www.nacd.ie/news/launch_event14042004.html
Your point being what? That they only have themselves to blame?

I know from other posts you've done that you tend to favour a pretty reactionary kind of politics, but if that's what you're saying here, that's pretty low.

ITalkShite said:
Your point being what? That they only have themselves to blame? I know from other posts you've done that you tend to favour a pretty reactionary kind of politics, but if that's what you're saying here, that's pretty low.
[/QUOTE]

Errr...no, my point was it isn't as simple as there not being enough houses.

To reduce homelessness the government needs to invest loads in drink and drug programmes and need to give a lot of guidance to young people in care. And it takes years and years for strategies like this to show results.

There's a distinct possibility, given that three people died in one weekend in such proximity, that there's a bad batch of gear around. (Not undermining the severity of the need for homeless services to be improved though)

Queen Buzzo said:
There's a distinct possibility, given that three people died in one weekend in such proximity, that there's a bad batch of gear around. (Not undermining the severity of the need for homeless services to be improved though)

There is no drugs connection..

BTW.. somebody had rang the Police 3 hours before Noellens body was 'discovered' one has to wonder whether she was deceased at this time.. tis on camera though..

StreetSeen said:
There is no drugs connection..

BTW.. somebody had rang the Police 3 hours before Noellens body was 'discovered' one has to wonder whether she was deceased at this time.. tis on camera though..

Now I think you're talking bollocks mate. There have been no autopsies released so unless you have some inside information that I don't, I find it hard to believe you can stand by that.

Queen Buzzo said:
Now I think you're talking bollocks mate. There have been no autopsies released so unless you have some inside information that I don't, I find it hard to believe you can stand by that.
I dont indulge in idle speculation..
I can and do stand over my comments

StreetSeen said:
I dont indulge in idle speculation..
I can and do stand over my comments
Whatever.

You 'stand' over comments where you were 'wondering' about what actually happened? Dude, if you 'stand' over a comment, you have to have an opinion or position to begin with.

Nobody's out to get you here - just be a bit more consistent and less conspiratorial.

And Spiritualtramp, it looks like I took you up wrong, sorry about that.

Queen Buzzo said:
Please elaborate. I'm honestly interested here, I work in the field and I've heard nothing to dispel suspicions around drug use.

This may not be the best place for this discussion...
Having spoke to a number of people who knew Noeleen et al there doesnt appear to be a link between the three at this time. The fact that 3 people did die can throw up suspicions of dirty gear. Why is it when a 'homeless' person passes away, mainstream society seems to find quick answers or fixes that it was something like bad gear that was the cause.
To me the common link was the fact that these people were homeless, nothing more nothing less. If we as a society cannot shoulder our responsibility to those in need we have failed.
Hopefully we can hook up on Saturday and have a chat as if you are working in the field there are a number of future activities that will be kicking off from Saturday that you may be interested in.

Again, you mustn't dismiss the fact that there are intrinsic links between problem drug use and homelessness. It's not a quick answer or fix, it's a possiblity. So too is the possiblity that (in one in particular of these cases) it was alcohol related.

The services available to homeless people and to problem drug users are inadequate and the life expectancy of a homeless person versus someone with a home (of the same gender and in similar circumstances) is lower. I dont think suggesting that it was bad drugs undermines the need for the homeless situation in this country to be addressed, but it shouldn't be dismissed as a possibility because that in turn would undermine the need for the drugs industry to be regulated (in order to eliminate such tragic deaths from bogey batches) and for safe environs for drug users to be provided to prevent dangerous injecting practices that lead to overdoses.

Again, you mustn't dismiss the fact that there are intrinsic links between problem drug use and homelessness. It's not a quick answer or fix, it's a possiblity. So too is the possiblity that (in one in particular of these cases) it was alcohol related.

I entirely agree with you. I was stressing the point that the three deaths werent intrinsincly(Sp?) linked with each other. Alcohol does appear to be the major factor in the case at SM

The services available to homeless people and to problem drug users are inadequate and the life expectancy of a homeless person versus someone with a home (of the same gender and in similar circumstances) is lower. I dont think suggesting that it was bad drugs undermines the need for the homeless situation in this country to be addressed, but it shouldn't be dismissed as a possibility because that in turn would undermine the need for the drugs industry to be regulated (in order to eliminate such tragic deaths from bogey batches) and for safe environs for drug users to be provided to prevent dangerous injecting practices that lead to overdoses.
Again I agree... For example in Belfast there is not even a needle exchange set up yet!
Anyhows me brains are frazzled at the mo. Hope to see ya Saturday.. you are going I hope!
spread the word!

Queen Buzzo said:
the need for the drugs industry to be regulated (in order to eliminate such tragic deaths from bogey batches) and for safe environs for drug users to be provided to prevent dangerous injecting practices that lead to overdoses.

Totally agree. Legalising heroin is the way to go. .|..|

surely if there was a bad batch of gear there would be more deaths and hospitalisations from 'non-homeless' users

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back