nlgbbbblth CD 12.18: Don't Make It Work. Our Failed Pop 1980 - 1987 (1 Viewer)

I bought the first Cry Before Dawn album at the time. They were massive in Wexford.

same here. 1986/87, but again I got the poxy thing on tape. Same as their second album. Bought both in Hotshot Records, Ballina (or maybe I just got the second one there).

I met Brendan Wade on a ferry in the mid-90s. This was just before the Wild Swans days but he was playing on the boat with the other lad from the Wild Swans. They were excellent. I recognised him and went up and asked him if he'd play some Cry Before Dawn. He didn't seem so impressed (not so much at my asking, but just didn't seem too enamoured by the whole CBD thing). I just told him I was a big fan and that I thought they'd be huge. He replied that so did they.

I saw them at EP last year. It was the first time I'd ever seen them live and even though the set was a bit dodgy it was still one of the highlights of the weekend for me. Shame the Button Factory gig was cancelled.

couldn't put a year on this but by the looks of them its around the same time. Another one for the Electric Picnic reunions. 2009 in this case.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

awesome work, all. A lot of people showing their ages here. New found respect all round.

couldn't put a year on this but by the looks of them its around the same time. Another one for the Electric Picnic reunions. 2009 in this case.

1987. Fine LP Babble.

loathe them or loathe them, they were very much part of that era

First album People has its moments. I like If You Go and Hallelujah Jordan.

First album People has its moments. I like If You Go and Hallelujah Jordan.

There was a single version of Love Don't Work This Way that was much less produced than the album.
I always had a soft spot for it long after I couldn't stand the sight of these fops.

The single was on Mother. I owned it.
Fuck knows where it is now.

There was a single version of Love Don't Work This Way that was much less produced than the album.
I always had a soft spot for it long after I couldn't stand the sight of these fops.

The single was on Mother. I owned it.
Fuck knows where it is now.

Ah yes, I remember that. Definitely a rawer sound to it.

Mimi-Kirk-Get-Fresh-cover2.jpg

not sure if thats a reference to Fresh magazine from the late 80s, but I was thinking of that magazine yesterday. I think it only went to 2 or 3 issues before it folded.

I remember the first issue had a free packet of chewing gum and the thirds had a Cry Before Dawn flexi-disc with Gone Forever and Sentimental on it. I still have it. Just rooted it out there now actually. Mark Cagney does the intro on it.

Flexi-discs were great. I'd always buy a magazine if it had one.

not sure if thats a reference to Fresh magazine from the late 80s, but I was thinking of that magazine yesterday. I think it only went to 2 or 3 issues before it folded.

dearth of online images of the actual fresh magazine. a stubbled, bandanaed, g. ryan did the single reviews. "ireland's answer to smash hits." ditched my copies years ago alas. gone forever.

in my head now...thanks Thumped

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back