nina nastasia appreciation (and question) thread (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
nina nastasia is one of those people who i think would make a fantastic novelist, or some other occupation requiring one to be an unflinching observer of humanity.

the inventiveness of the records she's released put her so far beyond the strumming-troubadour bullshit that plagues us that it's embarassing to have to mention them in the same breath.

her records are sparse and honest (but not 'confessional' or 'intimate' - this is not some teary-eyed self-pity thing).

songs are stretched over bare arrangements and delivered with a sort of almost-deadpan steely resolve that seems more attuned to the sarcastic delivery of shellac or p.i.l. than to the moany crap of any fucking soft-haired acoustic-wielding fucktard.

it's a pity that people like damien 'phil collins' rice and mundy 'mundy' mundy are the kind of brain-rot mulch that pops into most people's minds when the term 'singer-songwriter' is bandied about.

this is not 'singer-songwriter'. it's music. it's song. it's story. it's the stuff that reminds you that death is imminent, that you must know thyself, that honest communication is possible. it's a consolation. it's a challenge.

in fact, the only thing i've heard anyway recently that i'd put in the same territory is the new year (also fantastic, but they've had threads on here before).

in short: nina nastasia fucking rules. you should go and get her three albums and sink into them.

so, what is she up to? she put out run to ruin in 2003. we're now mid-way through 2006. the last bit of news i can find about her is on the touch and go site from mid-2005, and that's not even really about her (one of her tracks was put on a john peel tribute album). i know she played in dublin a couple of years ago, but she seems to have disappeared off the radar. anyone have any idea?

i dont know of her whereabouts or what she is doing but Run to Ruin is a beautiful album! i love the arrangements especially on the first song...
i heard the 'i say that i will come' song on an uncut cd and the guitar melody still rings in my head to this day. its an amazing album.
hope she puts something out soon.

did you see her in the village? i wished i'd been able to get whelans for that one... with bob log and the lonesome oganist and some other dublin chancer. bob log and the organist kinda got everyone buzzin, only a small portion of the crowd paid any attention to her... jim white was drumming, did anyone notice? huh.

NINA NASTASIA

On Leaving

- new album - out 11th September 2006 on Fat Cat records

The hauntingly beautiful new album from Nina Nastasia arrives perfectly formed and long overdue. It's been over a year since the reissue of Nina's debut album, 'Dogs'- a record John Peel called "astonishing" - and two years since the 'Run To Ruin' album, which Uncut magazine described as "Spare, beautiful, outstanding". Nina's fourth album, 'On Leaving', finds the hugely talented, NYC-based singer / songwriter signed to a new label, Fat Cat after three albums released on Chicago indie, Touch & Go. The move from Touch & Go implies "nothing scandalous," says Nina, "just moving, the way you move sometimes. *This is a good move all around."

Nina Nastasia's rare gift of a voice is an intimate, winged presence that is able to either freeze or melt your heart, that can powerfully soar and twist, or brush ultra-gently against you, suddenly summoning goose bumps. *Mojo commented on its ability to "suck the air out of the room". Picking over themes of love, longing and loss, childhood, dreams and human dramas, her beautifully concise, hook-laden songwriting and the spare arrangements of her band have a certain gritty, rustic charm and intensity. Simultaneously tough and fragile, her songs crackle and smoulder with an intimate emotional honesty and a dark undertow.

Perhaps witnessing a softening of the fever-intensity of previous albums, Nina refers to the new album as being, "more sad than mad". *Excepting the rich and sapient string arrangements by Dylan Willemsa on Lee and pianist Steven Beck's sweet classicism on Treehouse Song, 'On Leaving' is praxis of minimalism that builds on Nina Nastasia's stunning earlier repertoire, already famously spare. *Here, smoothing bass notes are notably absent. The lushness of a full string section is resolved into pure harmonics, evident, for example, as the smoke in Jim's Room. *A piano, the main accompaniment, often finds chords out of time, the space left brought to bear upon characters in the songs, left alone or having themselves departed.

The gorgeously delicate cover artwork from 'On Leaving' was made through a process called 'scherenschnitte', a centuries-old Swiss German tradition of cutting folded parchment into intricate illustrations. *You might see it hanging in your grandmother's kitchen: a framed pastoral, trees and woodland creatures, rustic houses, scenes of life from a simpler time, cut into lace-like silhouettes. *Nina's partner Kennan approached distinguished folk artist Marie-Helene Grabman with a concept for the record design. *With what Kennan calls "surprising intuition", she then cut the image from a single piece of paper, and the result forms the centrepiece of the album sleeve. *The artwork is a perfect reflection of the music it contains, a skillful, elegant balance between evocative images, and the very spaces that delineate them.

About the players: Nina Nastasia's long-standing peer relationship with engineer Steve Albini and musical organizer Kennan Gudjonsson makes its fourth iteration here, and 'On Leaving' is realised as well by veteran members of Nina's band, Dylan Willemsa (viola), Jay Bellerose (drums), Steven Beck (piano) and Jim White (drums). *

Nina Nastasia and band will be touring in support of the album, with dates to be announced soon.

jim white - what a slut.think he'll suit her sparseness much more than he suited smog though,looking forward to this.

snakybus said:
yeah tom

you like Paddy McCasey

>hnncncc-giggle<
he's really honest and deep and emotional and stuff!

you just think that cos he has funny hair and he's only five foot three and he wanks on couches, he's not a true artist

he's totally more a truer artist than you! or, like, picasso or some shit

it says on her myspace that she is playing in the workman's club on the 10th of december
but i couldn't find any info on this on the workman's club website or tickets.ie etc.
anyone know what is the story with this gig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back