New U2 Allbum (1 Viewer)

yeah and Larry. apparently he went to get some lessons after their 1st album or something. John Wadham said that he had to go back and learn his rudiments cos he was pretty awful. Larry told him to take a hike and never returned.

you can tell he's a skilled drummer.

avernus said:
yeah and Larry. apparently he went to get some lessons after their 1st album or something. John Wadham said that he had to go back and learn his rudiments cos he was pretty awful. Larry told him to take a hike and never returned.

you can tell he's a skilled drummer.
i don't care for training. you either make the instrument your own or you don't. i don't think any of u2 *own* their instruments in this way... all's it is is a hell of a lot of money and a lot of hi-tech studio equipment and some over-paid producers.

In a way..'The Edge' (like for fuck sake) has made his own sound.
he's been blasting the same moves on his delay pedal for fucking decades.

Good U2 ablums:

The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Million Doller Hotel Soundtrack thingy
the rest? meh

The odd good single comes out every now and again...

Honestly, when you write music for a living the odd good tune does pop out, i.e. The Scientest by Warmplay or Everythings Changing by Keane...

Still, after listening to Chapterhouse for a summer, Imagine my reaction when I heard Mysterious Ways for the first time... jaysus

ah here, u2 got shit after the joshua tree. nearly all the records before the JT have some great moments. boy is a great record for example. but i still think adam is dreadfully brilliant...

adam.gif

GO ADAM!!! dum dum dum (raise pitch) dum dum dum (back to previous pitch) dum dum dum. you know what i'm talking about. he's like someone from the not too distant future... the type of person your granny thinks might frequent an "internet cafe".

I was into U2 at the start what with the Martin Hannet association, but then realised that wasent enough and the records were in fact shit...
... The Joshua Tree is indeed their finest hour, but Zooropa has good tunes

hag said:
i don't care for training. you either make the instrument your own or you don't
... and often training helps you achieve this
i don't think any of u2 *own* their instruments in this way
The Edge does. He invented that whole chicka-chicka guitar thing. Also Larry Mullen's drumming back in the old days was very distinctive, very military. Adam Clayton's bass playing, however ...

egg_ said:
... and often training helps you achieve this

The Edge does. He invented that whole chicka-chicka guitar thing. Also Larry Mullen's drumming back in the old days was very distinctive, very military. Adam Clayton's bass playing, however ...
i disagree with you about mullen and the edge, ok? :) you actually know how edge achieves that sound... i think it's more a case of him not inventing it but other musicians too embarrassed to use it over and over and over and over and over... i don't rate mullen at all as a drummer, even on the early stuff. you might. but that's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back