New Joanna Newsom album (5 Viewers)

made it through the whole thing just once so far becuase its really long, and my lady HATES the voice too. put in on a key drive to listen to at work only for said drive to crap out. there always tomorrow i suppose.

the packaging is great, not just becuase of the lovely pictures though...

Basically a sequence of four pictures of her sitting on an old chair tying her hair back while wearing a really tight hot pants dungarees type thing

I just noticed her lying across the couch looking deadly on the front of the box now.

If you ever need to get any information out of me, tie me to a chair and play me one of her records. I'd spill my guts in seconds. It's a form of torture.

Two hours of that voice and I think I'd actually stick knives into my ears.

Ha! Yeah fair enough. But, I think the fact that you like Fever Ray may suggest that deep deep down somewhere.. you might find room for Joanna.

I don't actually mind her music... it's beautifully arranged...it's just the damn voice. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't see the Fever Ray connection at all. The two are no where near in my head. Maybe I need to do a test. One after the other.

Edit: listened to bits -- Fever Ray is more of Kate Bush / Cindi Lauper vocal vibe. Joanna sounds like a self-affected mental patient from the south circa 1930. Not sure where that description came from other than it's what I picture when I hear her voice.

I don't actually mind her music... it's beautifully arranged...it's just the damn voice. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't see the Fever Ray connection at all. The two are no where near in my head. Maybe I need to do a test. One after the other.

Well there is not a huge similarity, but they both sing in sentences rather than lines, and both have pretty complex end of the range vocals. Not that I really know what that means.

Baby Birch is the one I'm using to convince the sceptics...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

that song keeps threatening to break into amazing grace. It's very nice though

I sort of miss her more squawky ragged vocal delivery too, perverse as that may seem, as it added the necessary dose of vinegar to the sugary harp sound.
You have hit the nail on the head there. I reallly miss the uncontrols yeps and caterwauls she once through at you.
I blame all the haters and looking at this thread they still hate her voice even though she has mellowed the hell out.

You have hit the nail on the head there. I reallly miss the uncontrols yeps and caterwauls she once through at you.
I blame all the haters and looking at this thread they still hate her voice even though she has mellowed the hell out.

I like her voice now. And I couldn't stand it before. Can't believe Hives likes Fever Ray and not new Joanna. Fever Ray girl makes me want to hide behind the couch, shut my eyes and cover my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back