Netflix and Linux (1 Viewer)

error type 11

Supporter
Website
www.fnarr.net
Netflix runs on Silverlight which isn't available on Linux platform from what I've read. Anyone got it working on Ubuntu/Mint or similar?

I've a fairly old MacMini thats losing sync on audio/video on netflix. Its a Core Duo model running 10.6 connected to the tv and in a eureka mode last night I thought putting mint on it might give it a bit more speed then saw the linux/silverlight issue and didn't bother trying

Netflix runs on Silverlight which isn't available on Linux platform from what I've read. Anyone got it working on Ubuntu/Mint or similar?

I've a fairly old MacMini thats losing sync on audio/video on netflix. Its a Core Duo model running 10.6 connected to the tv and in a eureka mode last night I thought putting mint on it might give it a bit more speed then saw the linux/silverlight issue and didn't bother trying

maybe give this a shot? Pipelight in Launchpad

Alternatively, what about installing some flavor of Windows (XP/7) on it? (if it's just to play Netflix)

I'd imagine Silverlight performance is optimized to the hilt on Windows since it's a MS plugin.

Despite having a flight in the morning curiousity got the better of me and I decided to try for you as I've been using Mint the last few weeks.

Got Netflix working in Mint 16 by following these methods:

How To Install Pipelight On Ubuntu, Linux Mint And Elementary OS | LinuxG.net

This didn't work immediately on the Netflix site (although it did allow me to see silverlight content on other sites) so I did the following and it actually installs an application called Netflix Desktop that works, accessible from the equivalent of the Mint start menu in Sound and Video:

How to install Netflix on Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora - Nam Huy Linux Blog

Proof!: http://i.imgur.com/b61ozfh.png

The laptop I have Mint on is pretty old and herky-jerky so I hope that's the reason the playback was quite choppy.

p.s. you'll probably want to install Caffeine to stop your screen from switching off while watching stuff.

I was gonna say before for what it's worth, it might have been easier to pick up a second hand Roku if it's just netflix you use. You'd probably save a few quid in the power consumption too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back