Net neutrality and UPC (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I've being noticing this a lot recently. Facebook loads really quickly but everything else takes ages. Sometimes it takes so long to connect to a site I just give up. It's not a cache thing because I've cleared the cache and this still happens.
Are fecebook and netflix giving upc a wheelbarrow full of cash?

It might be a DNS issue rather than pure throttling. Have you tried a different DNS server other than UPC's?

I find I have problems like that with them every now and then. I switch to Open DNS or Google's.

Yeah, in order of troubleshooting I'd

1) Try a different DNS server. Config your DNS with OpenDNS OpenDNS: Cloud-Delivered Security Enforcement and Intelligence
You can apply these just to your own machine as a look-see first (go into your wired/wifi advanced settings and c&p them into the DNS tab). If you notice an improvement, I'd then stick them on the UPC router itself so that all devices will automatically inherit them. OpenDNS is free but if you sign up for an account you can do some web filtering stuff.
2) Do some trace-routes using the UPC line and then through a VPN. Figure out that there's some mysterious routing going on with UPC. Cry into your neck beard.

Fuuuuuuuuuuk this.
Computer is now hooked up via an ethernet connection. Facebook is even faster now, thumped isn't bad. Currently on minute 3 waiting for the openDNS page to open.

I'm starting to think I have some other issue here. Other computers in the house are flying along. My email is fast as hell and even my ftp application is working well.
Lets see: facebook 22 seconds, thumped bbs 12 seconds, apple.com 2 minutes ad counting, rte.ie 2 minutes and counting, random google search (for ac/dc) 1minute 35seconds.
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!
This is making work really difficult.

It might be a problem with the web browser. Maybe try a different browser and see if the same thing happens.

You tried purging the DNS cache on your machine? Stick these two commands in Terminal

Code:
dscacheutil -flushcache
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

open this in chrome

chrome://net-internals/#tests

lash in any problematic URL and see if any of the tests show stupidly high (or much better lower) response times

Install the Firebug extension for Firefox. Press f12 to open the firebug console then click Net. Open up any page that's giving you grief and you'll get a waterfall view of every page element being loaded that might help you pinpoint where the delays are.

if you mouseover the bars on the waterfall it'll give you a breakdown of what was happening for each file - dns lookup, connection, server waits etc

you can do this in chrome too just by hitting f12 & clicking the Network tab but I prefer working with firebug

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back