Mythbuntu (1 Viewer)

error type 11

Supporter
Website
www.fnarr.net
Has anyone set this up on a PC to use as a TV box?
Downloaded it over weekend, having problems installing it on a laptop but its meant for a desktop anyway so must try that later in week, just wondering if anyone had tried it already

Surprisinly I downloaded this last week.. Its alright, nothing amazing. Would be best used as a dedicated recording/watching thing just left under your TV I presume.. Would be fairly cheap to build a machine for it, cheap enough motherboard/CPU, though RAM & plenty of HD space would be the main thing to get..

Theres a PC at home doing nothing a P4 as far as I remember, so the plan is Mythbuntu, a TV out card and hook it up to the broadband router and download any new stuff from the comps upstairs to it to watch downstairs, should work ok hopefully

A friend of mine set it up a few years ago as a project cause he didn't want to buy a TiVo. This was before the Mythbuntu distribution where you had to set up the Myth TV software on Linux yourself. And it worked really well.

There was an internet service that gave TV listings too, so he hooked it up with that and then was able to schedule it to record shows etc. He got a remote control for the computer too and programmed that with the Myth TV software so it really was like a TiVo. The only thing he found though was that the sound of the fan right beside the TV was a bit annoying, so he had to buy a more expensive cooling system.

In the end the whole setup probably cost more than a TiVo but the feeling of satisfaction was priceless. At least this is what he said. Or maybe he was just trying to justify his expenditure.

Oh..I can't really remember. All I remember was him mentioning that it would have been cheaper just to buy a commercial recorder. He had an old computer sitting at home so he had intended just buying a TV in-out card and that would be that. But then he ended up buying a new bigger and faster hard disk, the cooling and the fancy TV remote control. So whatever those things totaled. This was a few years ago so that stuff is probably a whole lot cheaper now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back