My tshirts design ripped off (pic)? (1 Viewer)

Ferox13

I was looking at the Rotten Cotten site yesterday and saw this shirt. This definally came out with it the last few months:

405_abortionhang.gif

Here's a shirt I did and used to sell on my website - i did this years back:

hanger13.gif

Definally a bit of a coincidence that its the exact same wording too. I remember offering RC a few designs years ago but that one wasn't part of it buy it might have put me on their radar...

I'm not totally pushed on it as i'm not selling tees at the moment. What should i do? Should i try get a few shirts off them. I never copyrighted the design so it would be hard to prove anything..

I was looking at the Rotten Cotten site yesterday and saw this shirt. This definally came out with it the last few months:

405_abortionhang.gif

Here's a shirt I did and used to sell on my website - i did this years back:

hanger13.gif

Definally a bit of a coincidence that its the exact same wording too. I remember offering RC a few designs years ago but that one wasn't part of it buy it might have put me on their radar...

I'm not totally pushed on it as i'm not selling tees at the moment. What should i do? Should i try get a few shirts off them. I never copyrighted the design so it would be hard to prove anything..

Just make sure JANER doesn't see it!

Damn you DUnnes stores..

Ironicallatasic story about that shirt:

I was selling outta a mates shop in Temple bar and one of them was hanging up in his shop window. Some (not so) Youth Defense/Pro Lifer noticed it and took offense. He stormed into the shop, ripped it outta the window where it was on a plastic hanger and starting ranting at the poor girl who just works the counter.

He then proceeds to hurt the item at her - clocking her in the head with the shirt and hanger (obviously taking the tshirt slogan too literally)...Any waya the cops were called but she didn't press charges but they did take the shirt to submit it to the DPP to see if it was deemed obscene. Never heard from them again. I was pissed that they didn't get any written statement from the cops that I could have used in future advertising..

I just sent em an email. I asked for some shirts in compensation - i was pretty nice..
If the guy is an asshole then i'll change my tone..

I think a few shirts is a resonable request..

ACID (Anti Copying In Design) is a membership trade organisation, set up as a round table action group in 1996, by designers for designers – now a hard-hitting "not for profit" trade organisation created to combat the growing threats of plagiarism in the design and creative industries. By helping its members to understand and protect their rights, ACID is intent on stamping out intellectual property rights abuse.

ACID provides an accessible, practical framework for those who believe that their IP rights have been infringed and positive help to those who wish to leverage the value they create in their intellectual property. Developing a proactive IP strategy is key to creative businesses in the 21st century to maxmise the benefits of intellectual capital, intellectual know-how and intellectual property rights created.

http://www.acid.uk.com/

Thanks broken arm....

He got back to me - heres some snippets:

'....In my opinion, it is similar but not defiantly not the same. Its not close enough for you to sue me nor send me a cease and desist. In fact I can't see how you think it was copied..........Abortions and coat hangers just go together and "its never too late", well that must just be a coincidence.....

He's kind of right, in a way. You can't copyright an idea, just the expression of that idea in a particular way. I mean, you didn't come up with the abortion/coathanger idea but the expression of it (i.e. the style of drawing, the white on black look) is definitely similar to yours.

I think the simplicity of the design is what would allow him to get away with the coincidence defence.

The lesson is, always copyright your designs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back