Mussels (1 Viewer)

Open mussels are ok so long as they close when you rap the shell with a knife. The important thing is they are alive when you cook them, any that are already dead will fuck you up.

MN - mussels are tested by the fisheries research centre, they test for specific toxic (to humans) algae that the mussels might have eaten

Open mussels are ok so long as they close when you rap the shell with a knife. The important thing is they are alive when you cook them, any that are already dead will fuck you up.

MN - mussels are tested by the fisheries research centre, they test for specific toxic (to humans) algae that the mussels might have eaten
Yeah thats the Red Tide thing - I knew about that. They test the water and don't harvest when that alge is about.

Nice one, i'm gonna grab some.

This looks only gorgeous.

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1kg/2¼lb mussels, cleaned and de-bearded (broken or opened ones discarded)
1 bottle beer
2-3 tbsp finely chopped, parsley for garnish

Method
1. Heat a large, lidded saucepan and add the olive oil.
2. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for one minute.
3. Add the mussels and pour in the beer. Mix through, turn up the heat and put the lid on.
4. Cook, shaking the pan every now and again until all the mussels have opened and are cooked. Remove any mussels that remain closed.
5. Spoon into serving bowls with the juices, sprinkle with parsley and serve with rustic bread.

I'm looking forward to cooking it this way. Cheers. I did some research and apparently hoegarden is a good choice of beer

mussels are great.
not so good if they're undercooked.
any cool stories in this regard?

bump

I had mussels for dinner.

Not sure about potatoes with them though. Not great soakage of the garlic and shallot sauce. Next batch I'll have with some crusty bread or rolls. Any recommendations in this regard?

Dessert: as always, Fry's Orange Cream

When you come, all the mussels should be open
:eek:

i spent a whole morning collecting mussels in killary harbour one day and then a local bloke came along and told me the mussels had some disease and were inedible. i loved mussels when i was small, which my mum thinks is really impressive, because i'm her spawn.

they're like seafood vaginas; look terrible, but definitely worth a nosh

With statements like that no wonder most of thumped thinks you're a boy.

i only said that for the comedy value really, i'm not a huge fan of other people's vaginas

something fishy about em

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back