Mussels (1 Viewer)

Wobbler

Website
www.discogs.com
Delicious
Cheap
Easy to cook

The perfect food?

I cooked them for the first time on Friday and the results were very succesful.

I got about a kilo, which along with some baby potatoes (next time I'll get nice bread) just about did my girlfriend and I as a main course. I roughy followed a simple recipe of Delia Smith's, although I reckon it's fairly universal.

First thing I did was threw them all in a basin full of cold water. The ones which rose to the top have to be thrown away. Next I cleaned off the barnacles with a knife, while doing so making sure they were all firmly closed. Anyones which were open are to be thrown out. Next, I gave them a good rinse, changing the water a few times.

Melt shitloads of butter in a big pot. Throw in some crushed garlic. Next throw in about a glass of white wine and let it boil. When it's boiling throw in the mussels and cover. Have the heat fairly high at this stage. Leave for about five minutes. When you come, all the mussels should be open, any that aren't should be thrown away. Now, take the mussels out with a slotted spoon (maybe put them into an oven with a low heat). Put some double cream into your sauce and let the sauce reduce for a few minutes. Now serve the mussels with the sauce poured over it. Drink the rest of the wine.
Enjoy.

All this sounds more complicated than it actually is. The only hassle is cleaning them, which only takes a few minutes once you get into it.

Delicious
Cheap
Easy to cook

The perfect food?

I got about a kilo, which along with some baby potatoes (next time I'll get nice bread) just about did my girlfriend and I as a main course. I roughy followed a simple recipe of Delia Smith's, although I reckon it's fairly universal.

First thing I did was threw them all in a basin full of cold water. The ones which rose to the top have to be thrown away. Next I cleaned off the barnacles with a knife, while doing so making sure they were all firmly closed. Anyones which were open are to be thrown out. Next, I gave them a good rinse, changing the water a few times.

Melt shitloads of butter in a big pot. Throw in some crushed garlic. Next throw in about a glass of white wine and let it boil. When it's boiling throw in the mussels and cover. Have the heat fairly high at this stage. Leave for about five minutes. When you come, all the mussels should be open, any that aren't should be thrown away. Now, take the mussels out with a slotted spoon (maybe put them into an oven with a low heat). Put some double cream into your sauce and let the sauce reduce for a few minutes. Now serve the mussels with the sauce poured over it. Drink the rest of the wine.
Enjoy.

All this sounds more complicated than it actually is. The only hassle is cleaning them, which only takes a few minutes once you get into it.
mussels are deadly. sounds great wobbs. only problem i had as a kid with them was the saltyness of them combined with the edges of the shell would cut the whittles further on my fingers and the saltyness would sting like fuck. its ok now though since ive grown steely man-hands

Delicious
Cheap
Easy to cook

The perfect food?

Enjoy.

Sounds great, i love mussels. So wheres a good place in town to get them, how much was the kilo? how many were in the kilo?, how many did you have to throw away?

they look like AIDS ridden alien brains

You love AIDS.

Weirdly enough the blue one is raspberry flavour. I've never seen a blue raspberry let alone a raspberry with AIDS.

I don't know why I associated the blue one with AIDS either. I've never seen a blue person with AIDS. Strange how Ernesto and I did so at the same time though.

You are all going to hate me for this but...

A fried of mine worked in quality for a mussell factory. To test them they liqudised some of the mussells and this mush was injected into 5 mice.

The spec for the test was that no more than two of the mice died.

You are all going to hate me for this but...

A fried of mine worked in quality for a mussell factory. To test them they liqudised some of the mussells and this mush was injected into 5 mice.

The spec for the test was that no more than two of the mice died.

I despise any kind of cruelty towards mussels.

Sounds great, i love mussels. So wheres a good place in town to get them, how much was the kilo? how many were in the kilo?, how many did you have to throw away?
Sorry about the delay in responding. I got mine in Fallon & Byrne and they came to about €3.50. I'd say most fishmongers would do them, cheaper too. Try the place in Baggot St. I'm not sure how many were in the kilo, maybe thirty?. I only ended throwing out about four.

Sorry about the delay in responding. I got mine in Fallon & Byrne and they came to about €3.50. I'd say most fishmongers would do them, cheaper too. Try the place in Baggot St. I'm not sure how many were in the kilo, maybe thirty?. I only ended throwing out about four.

Nice one, i'm gonna grab some.

This looks only gorgeous.

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1kg/2¼lb mussels, cleaned and de-bearded (broken or opened ones discarded)
1 bottle beer
2-3 tbsp finely chopped, parsley for garnish

Method
1. Heat a large, lidded saucepan and add the olive oil.
2. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for one minute.
3. Add the mussels and pour in the beer. Mix through, turn up the heat and put the lid on.
4. Cook, shaking the pan every now and again until all the mussels have opened and are cooked. Remove any mussels that remain closed.
5. Spoon into serving bowls with the juices, sprinkle with parsley and serve with rustic bread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back