dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
That music is shit thread, has me thinking, let's have a tangential debate. Not a tangenitals one

Music makers, *why* do you pick up that flugelhorn and make music?
For fun? Out of compulsion? To impress those of the opposite sex? To keep the baying demons that are nipping at the heels of your torrid being in check?

And listeners....What do you actually get out of it? Do you put on records to pass the time? Do you listen to music with your full attention, eyes closed, or while you're checking out twitter melting down about Garth Brooks?

Music was a thing I was forced to do every Tuesday until I became a teenager and it suddenly seemed exciting to both listen to and play. Even the shitty classical stuff I hated suddenly seemed super interesting.

I haven't played in front of an audience in a decade and I definitely miss something there.

There's a sense of satisfaction and well-being that comes from writing, whether it be a sentence with all the words in the right place (i.e. rarely anything i put on thumped) or a bunch of chords and notes in an order that feels correct. When I do any of that all possessions and, to be honest, human relationships seem petty and dull. I suppose it's some ART thing but it's a feeling that's worth chasing.

Partly because I wouldn't know how to and am afraid to stop. Music, listening, playing, reading, doing is the thing I've spent the most time on in my lfe. I feel like I should get a degree in it or something.
As crazy frustrating playing in a band can be there is nothing like the joy of playing loud music with people and clicking. So much so that I find the day after practice a major downer of a day.

the drum kit, also call 'trap kit' is named that because it prevents you doing anything else more worthwhile. These days, I get more joy out of driving a dumper or doing the dishes.

That music is shit thread, has me thinking, let's have a tangential debate. Not a tangenitals one

Music makers, *why* do you pick up that flugelhorn and make music?
For fun? Out of compulsion? To impress those of the opposite sex? To keep the baying demons that are nipping at the heels of your torrid being in check?

And listeners....What do you actually get out of it? Do you put on records to pass the time? Do you listen to music with your full attention, eyes closed, or while you're checking out twitter melting down about Garth Brooks?

I can't sing and I can't play. My brothers are excellent musicians, I just decided that I would never be as good as them, so why bother.
Plus girls and drink.

Listening to music helps me tap into places inside myself I otherwise couldn't reach. And it makes me feel connected.

Sitting at home playing an instrument was the alternative to sitting at home wanking during the teenage years

and still is I suppose

Playing doesn't do as much for me as it used to, I'm just repeating myself at this stage. Listening to music is still deadly although I ration it a bit as it aggravates me tinnitus even at fairly low levels and I like it loud

This thread should be in the form of a book accompanied by poignant photos of the commenters ala 'Humans of New York'

If it was I'd change my comment so I'd seem less stupid

I went through a stage where I wrote music because that's how I saw myself - as a music-writer. I'd feel guilty if I wasn't working on something, fuck knows why

Now I do it either purely for the fun of it, or because I have something I want to say. Mostly the former, it's not as if anyone is listening anyway

Similar buzz for playing, with the added benefit of the social side. If it wasn't for the band there are some friends I'd almost never see

Listening to music - I do it for the emotional payoff. And the dancing.

Sense of achievement and the fun of performing live, putting a smile on people's faces (or not) and helping everyone including myself forget about the daily drudgery. Mostly the same for listening and watching people performing their music.

Once again I think Iggy Pop put it most eloquently

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1:57 onwards pretty much sums it all up.

So yeah it's addiction really.

The challenge of writing songs is a major reason for me, and something I've gotten more serious about (and more seriously into) over time. There is immense satisfaction in finishing something, and feeling happy with what you've written (but you don't always) and then hopefully recording it. It's irrelevant to me that no-one's listening (and who cares anyway, right?); the sense of achievement I get for myself in doing it is enough for me.
I've always been a listener and consumer of music of all sorts and that will never change. I don't enjoy playing live gigs anymore though, and would be very happy not to do that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back