Music (2 Viewers)

For fucks sake

• SHUT UP, DUDLEY

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Is that even your real name?

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess I started playing piano initially because my dad's a music teacher and it was always going to happen. I started playing guitar because it was something my older brothers were doing and because I loved Nirvana and Metallica and wanted to know how to play like that. I still play both. I'm starting to study for grade 7 piano but it's going to take forever because I'm effectively trying to teach myself with any spare time I have. I guess I'm playing it becuase of the challenge and also it helps give me a better grasp on things like harmony, melodic progression, all that. I play guitar for fun. And I think I always feel like I'm doing something semi useful by playing and writing music, even if no one ever hears it, than if I was just watching Eastenders every night. I love meeting up with friends and playing. I've only ever played in front of an audience once though and that was at Glenn Branca's 100 guitars thing at the Grand Canal dock years ago. The thoughts of playing in front of an audience kind of terrifies the shit out of me to a certain degree but I also I never feel like I have anything fully finished to show off if that makes sense.

I listen to music because like a lot of people here have said; when you hear good music, the world seems like a better and less shitter place. That's what keeps me chasing after new music still.

My dad's 75 this year and still teaching. I asked him recently what kept him doing it for so long and he said, in a nutshell, that you have to be slightly insane and have no backup plan or career to fall back to if things fall to shite

I think music making occupies that part of your brain that would otherwise become a crank and start writing letters to national newspapers,or at least lessens the possibility of becoming some sort of maniac.My housemate put it nicely a while ago where he was saying if he goes a few days without playing an instrument he feels mentally ill.
I started doing it for different reasons,but its a nice side effect.It becomes like exercise or something after a while,once you do it and notice the positive effects on your life you cant do without it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back