Music nowadays is shit: Discuss. (1 Viewer)

Snap

That's fair enough though, right? They're all 25-35 year old genres anyway.

yep, you're right - apart from breakcore they've all been around since i was at primary school (before that in the case of post punk). i'm middle aged (40 next year). nothing wrong being auld.

i suppose i just wonder what i would have been like
to get to hear 'You Suffer' or 'Rebel Without A Pause'
in 1987 when it was completely new.
or hear Throbbing Gristle, Black Flag or Joy Division in 1979.
there's probably equally good examples that are 300 years old.

there is loads of amazing music now but it's nearly all
in the depths of DIY obscurity.

But I don't feel MY generation added much to the pot after the rapid progress of previous decades when things seemed to change out of all recognition very quickly.

i suppose i'm repeating myself now.

i suppose i just wonder what i would have been like
to get to hear 'You Suffer' or 'Rebel Without A Pause'
in 1987 when it was completely new.

Hang on, you WERE old enough to hear that when it first came out (or maybe Obliteration and It Takes a Nation of Millions...) so how come you didn't?

I was eleven in 1987 - i'm nearly 39 now.

I first heard Public Enemy about 1989-90. It did surprise me.

I do remember hearing Eric B and Rakim in 1988 though but being 12 but was to young to appreciate it and remember I said in my original post i was late convert to Rap. I never even heard of Ice Cube until He had at least one solo album out.

Napalm, Flag and TG I never even heard of until 1992.

I always loved 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' (first heard mid eighties) and the second JD song I heard was 'Transmission' in early 90's which was a major musical landmark for me.

i didn't buy records for a long time because I thought the prices were crazy back then.
I never bought a music magazine in my life until August 1992
until then music wasn't important to me and i'd only bought
less than ten records.

the Dave Fanning show will do that to you.

Last edited:
Turns out they sold out Lansdowne Road, so they seem to have fans.

It will be a nice day out for the young people.
Through some fluke I ended up seeing the Script twice in the space of about 6 months a few years back. The lead lad broke down in tears at the exact same point of the same song both times. They are despicable and their fans are old enough to know better.

Met a load of Script fans on the way home from a concert one time. They were a formidable crew of women. Do The Script have 5 songs a randomer would know? Will they be bolstered by support from the likes of Maroon 5 etc?

Met a load of Script fans on the way home from a concert one time. They were a formidable crew of women. Do The Script have 5 songs a randomer would know? Will they be bolstered by support from the likes of Maroon 5 etc?
Support from Pharrell. I'd say Kodaline or someone would be added if it isn't selling well.

He only seems to do support gigs, one theory being that it's because he realizes he's terrible live.

Is he really terrible live? Wow. Though in fairness I didn't like much of that record he had out, except (obviously) "Happy"
Well I haven't seen him myself, so this is all second hand.

Friend of mine is the biggest fan and he was utterly disgusted by him live. Said it was just lame showbiz crap, could have been any pop star. He played loads of stuff he produced but isn't featured on so he just danced around the stage while other people sang them. Didn't even play an instrument for those (or any) songs. My friend says he was basically paying to see Pharrell play his ipod.

Well I haven't seen him myself, so this is all second hand.

Friend of mine is the biggest fan and he was utterly disgusted by him live. Said it was just lame showbiz crap, could have been any pop star. He played loads of stuff he produced but isn't featured on so he just danced around the stage while other people sang them. Didn't even play an instrument for those (or any) songs. My friend says he was basically paying to see Pharrell play his ipod.

Sounds better than paying to see a DJ play someone else's records.

Through some fluke I ended up seeing the Script twice in the space of about 6 months a few years back. The lead lad broke down in tears at the exact same point of the same song both times. They are despicable and their fans are old enough to know better.

So this tearful breakdown was not spontaneous at all, it was part of

The script?

Good drummer in the script. Nice hi hat work

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i lasted two minutes. sounds like a pub band version of some song that used to be on the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back