Music nowadays is shit: Discuss. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Show me one song released in the last three years that was as good as even the dross from a few years previously. Explain your work. My hypothesis is that music is now shit and we all need to just cop on.

There's some excellent stuff around. Seems like there's a lot more music in general at the moment so there's definitely a need to go hunting.

Ten songs I've loved from the last three years below. No-one'll agree on them all but at least one should float anybody's boat:

Glacier - John Grant
The Leopard - We Cut Corners
Make Some Noise - Beastie Boys
I Should Watch TV - David Byrne & St Vincent
Q.U.E.E.N. - Janelle Monae
Ingenue - Atoms for Peace
Reflektor - Arcade Fire
This is a Conversation - Windings
Revisit - Sam Jackson
Jubilee Street - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Show me one song released in the last three years that was as good as even the dross from a few years previously.

The Seer (the entire album by Swans) is better than the dross from a few years previously and, in my opinion anyway, as good if not better than even most of their own incredible back catalogue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Explain your work.

Swans.

Show me one song released in the last three years that was as good as even the dross from a few years previously. Explain your work. My hypothesis is that music is now shit and we all need to just cop on.

Has this change in music correlated to any change in your own situation?

You have to dig around the internet to find the music you like. Back in the day you had to dig around shops or know the right people or hope that through some fluke it got on the radio. Basically it takes effort now and it took effort then.

This is as good as any indie pop song released whenever.

check out the Charli XCX album True Romance.

Christ, as if one Marina singing about radioactive things wasn't enough.

anyway @Scientician 0.8 to really be able to answer this you'd have to post some examples of your favourite kinds of music or say what kind of thing you're looking for.

I haven't been impressed by much mainstream pop music since the age of all auto-tune all the time dawned. I'm hoping that'll change but who knows.

1991 - the year punk rock died

So wrong.

It's definitely not as simple as all music now is shit. Listening to music many years on from formative years can only be a different experience,coupled with the way music is listened to (mp3/streaming etc),and how much of it is so easy to access. I don't believe music has the same opportunity to sink in as it once did.

Is the music I grew up with better than music kids grow up with now? To me,yes. To them-not a chance.

Do I care? no.

Anyway,what do I know,half the music I love was recorded before 1980.

So wrong.

It's definitely not as simple as all music now is shit. Listening to music many years on from formative years can only be a different experience,coupled with the way music is listened to (mp3/streaming etc),and how much of it is so easy to access. I don't believe music has the same opportunity to sink in as it once did.

Is the music I grew up with better than music kids grow up with now? To me,yes. To them-not a chance.

Do I care? no.

Anyway,what do I know,half the music I love was recorded before 1980.

I think I tried to write this post about 4 times this morning.

Fair play.

i don't think punk rock died in 1991 ....
I think the imaginations of music makers and music users has been atrophying over a long period of time. What Thurston Moore and co thought was happening in '91 was the opposite of what was happening. There's an enormous creative slump in popular music that probably hasn't even hit it's nadir yet.

I went to see that Stone Roses movie recently. The first live shows were great. Lots of people there were of a certain age.

The thought did occur that they were there celebrating that time when they were 21 as they were celebrating the debut record.

Which is just to our experience of music, and pretty much everything else, changes as we move through life.

For my money there is plenty of stuff out there that I can engage with. New or old.

i don't think punk rock died in 1991 ....
I think the imaginations of music makers and music users has been atrophying over a long period of time. What Thurston Moore and co thought was happening in '91 was the opposite of what was happening. There's an enormous creative slump in popular music that probably hasn't even hit it's nadir yet.

So when was the creative high point?

It's been a series of peaks and troughs - largely determined by how much the industry thinks it knows about vital culture at any given time. The more they think they know the shitter the music. The more people treat music as the commodity that the music industry renders it as - the more it becomes the truth of the situation. Popular peaks would include skiffle, beat bands, psychedelia, hard rock, punk etc etc ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back