Music in the Recession on Sky News (1 Viewer)

BonsaiSuperstar

Sky News are doing a piece all morning on the recession and music that speaks about.

it started off talking about bands like "The Specials", UB40 and The Jam singing about the bleakness of the recession.

It then went said that bands today could also be political and draw parallels between the 80s and now.bands like The Streets and the Enemy were seen as bands that currently do this. Enemy are also from Coventry, just like the Specials!

Other points of note are that Hard-Fi are sexy music and probably wouldnt write about negative things like hte recession. And Kaizer Chiefs were seen as great social commentators.

Now you would expect Sky to churn out this sort of rubbish alright. But are there any bands out there yet (with a bit of cred) out there being political or talking about the recession.

Is it too early yet to expect bands to write about it?

it should be noted they Elvis Costello and U2, two previous recession commentators played some pretty big bigs the other week for Mr Obama and Martin Luther King.

To me recession music is typified by someone like Joy Division.maybe not in terms of lyrics but definitely in terms of the bleakness of the music itself.

Other points of note are that Hard-Fi are sexy music and probably wouldnt write about negative things like hte recession.
Weren't hard-fi that band where every single song was "i work monday to friday, yet i have no money, so i get langerated at the weekend"? They'd be the first band i'd expect to be on about it.

Sky News are doing a piece all morning on the recession and music that speaks about.

it started off talking about bands like "The Specials", UB40 and The Jam singing about the bleakness of the recession.

It then went said that bands today could also be political and draw parallels between the 80s and now.bands like The Streets and the Enemy were seen as bands that currently do this. Enemy are also from Coventry, just like the Specials!

Other points of note are that Hard-Fi are sexy music and probably wouldnt write about negative things like hte recession. And Kaizer Chiefs were seen as great social commentators.

Now you would expect Sky to churn out this sort of rubbish alright. But are there any bands out there yet (with a bit of cred) out there being political or talking about the recession.

Is it too early yet to expect bands to write about it?

it should be noted they Elvis Costello and U2, two previous recession commentators played some pretty big bigs the other week for Mr Obama and Martin Luther King.

To me recession music is typified by someone like Joy Division.maybe not in terms of lyrics but definitely in terms of the bleakness of the music itself.

Heard something recently about research that suggests popular music has a more regular beat during hard times/recession, and more complex rhythms during prosperous times. Interesting.

here's another one.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back