Music DVDs (2 Viewers)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I was in virgin in Blaggardstown a few weeks ago and was astounded by the amount of music DVDs. Seems everyone has one. I have a few but what are good/bad.
I have:

Metallica, some kind of monster : brilliant 4/5

AC/DC, Family Jewels : worth it for the Bon stuff but overall feels like a bit of a rip off. 2/5

They Might Be Giants, Gigantic : excellent documentary that tells their story from the early days right up to the release of Mink Car (a live gig in Tower records New York at midnight 11 sept 2001 - makes no comment on 9/11, which is deadly). Packed with cool extra footage and commentry. 5/5

Anthony said:
I was in virgin in Blaggardstown a few weeks ago and was astounded by the amount of music DVDs. Seems everyone has one. I have a few but what are good/bad.
I have:

Metallica, some kind of monster : brilliant 4/5

if you only buy this dvd to watch lars acting the prick its well worth it! Great movie, i reallly enjoed it!
but lars..og christ you'd kill him if you were in a band with him "you know what makes my dick hard"
Oh SHUT THE FUCK UP"

Pavement - Slow Century: Bleedin deadly 2 DVD set. Documentary, All the vids, 2 gigs, commentaries, and stuff.

Weezer: If i remember correctly, their DVD was rappah too.

cpr said:
if you only buy this dvd to watch lars acting the prick its well worth it! Great movie, i reallly enjoed it!
but lars..og christ you'd kill him if you were in a band with him "you know what makes my dick hard"
Oh SHUT THE FUCK UP"

I think he points at a section of the waveform of his bass drum he has just recorded in ProTools and says "That kick drum there is the one that gets my dick hard!"

Also, the best quote ever is from Dave Mustaine talking about Lars

"I miss my little Danish friend"

The Best of The Old Grey Whistle Test, I think it's part 1, is magic. Watching John Martyn perform 'MayYou Never' on that is one of the more precious and lovely things I can think of to enjoy in life.
Also Bill Withers sweating like a loon but sounding like the King Of All That Is Cool.

Wilbert said:
Also, the best quote ever is from Dave Mustaine talking about Lars

"I miss my little Danish friend"

Best Dave Mustaine quote - "I AM THE RIFFMASTER!"

Anthony said:
what about dvds that arent just a collection of Videos or just a live gig.
hmmm... The Return of Spinal Tap - live gig / interviews / hilarity - well the first 10 minutes are comedy gold anyway.

nlgbbbblth said:
well there's the End Of The Century, which I can't comment on as it languishes in my DVD backlog, but it looks good

BBC4 is good for taping those documentary types; Gram Parsons, The Fall, Ivor Cutler etc

devo dvd is cool.

"Fearless Freaks", the Flaming Lips documentary, is awesome. I don't think it's been released yet, but i got a sneak preview at a friend of mine's who is a VP at HMV. It's a wonder those cats made it out of their adolescence alive.

Just watched "End of the Century" - VG.

"Last Waltz" is always a favourite. As are "The Filth and the Fury" and the Pavement double-disc one ("Slow Century?")

Must borrow "Some Kind of Monster" off the krabby one - i hear the additional footage is golden.

I am completely in love with Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense DVD. The amount of energy being thrown about by the gangly, nerdy David Byrne is hypnotic. And the clothes are deadly too.

The Hellacopters-Goodnight Cleveland,I think its called, is amazing.Follows them on tour and there are bits of them jamming stooges and mc5 songs.Best music dvd I own.Seen a bootleg of the MC5 dvd the other night and thats like a documentry with cool live footage and stuff.Its only wizard.|..|

The Weezer one is ok I didnt think it was amazing.Same with the Foo Fighters one which was just a collection of concerts.

Theres also a T.V. eye rerelease on dvd of the video with early qotsa footage and high on fire etc.Also great

143368.jpg

Well spotted Lord Damian.

My ex loved this one to bits and I learned it offa him and I too grew to love it. Specially where Neil Youngs got all coke stuck to his nostril and Emmylou Harris sounds just so incredible. Added super cool factor of being Scorcese's baby.

aoifed said:
143368.jpg

Well spotted Lord Damian.

My ex loved this one to bits and I learned it offa him and I too grew to love it. Specially where Neil Youngs got all coke stuck to his nostril and Emmylou Harris sounds just so incredible. Added super cool factor of being Scorcese's baby.
apparently, it cost as much as the entire rest of the movie for Scorsese to rotoscope that blow from Neil's nostrils...
fucking deadly movie - Ronnie Hawkins jamming with his boys was spot on, and Dr.John's bit was amazing as well. even fucking Neil Diamond wasn't horrendous. and Van the Man and his sparkly jumpsuit. words can't express my love for that sequence. the only thing that did my head in was Robbie Robertson's inflated sense of self-importance. if i was Levon that dick wouldn't have made it outta the sixtie's alive.

The MC5 one " a true testimonial" if you can find a bootleg of it is amazing for a documantary one. As is the Iron Maiden one. For gigs ,Minor Threat,Melvins,Led Zep all rule.

That whole blues series of DVDs is excellent, especially the one on the piano blues. The one with chuck d has it's moments too, just a pity leonard chess is such a dick. Tonight i'm supposed to be getting that film about the blues/soul backing band that never got the credit they deserved or something. Looks ace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back