Music books recommendations? (1 Viewer)

brilliant, I've never met anyone else who read this book! This might sound a bit emo, but I bought it when I was about 15/16 and can honestly say it did change my life in a small way.

I read it when I was about that age too and felt the same too! Then I lent it to a dude when I got to college and I never got it back and I seriously mourned the loss of it! It took me years to find another copy. I really liked the Kim Gordon interview. In fact I'm off to root out my copy and re-read it!

I read it when I was about that age too and felt the same too! Then I lent it to a dude when I got to college and I never got it back and I seriously mourned the loss of it! It took me years to find another copy. I really liked the Kim Gordon interview. In fact I'm off to root out my copy and re-read it!
aw yay! Glad you got another copy of it :)
It's such a powerful book, such a simple concept but pretty radical too.

I'd recommend

51RAE9ZM8NL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

it's a collection of articles. Some are better than others but interesting.

kathleen.jpg

a book of essays..Haven't read it from cover to cover but have enjoyed what I have read so far.

And Peter Guralnick's biographies of Elvis are probably two of the best biographies I've ever read. Seriously amazing.

I just read this.ESSENTIAL.

06567.jpg

Written by a Donegal bloke.

I thought Shakey was great, also Dylans Chronicles, even though I hate the music. Zoot Horn Rollo's book about life in the Beefheart band is good if a little scary.

Little Richard wrote his own autobiography, that's mindblowingly filthy...

Mark E Smiths Renegade is fucking hilarious, in his own words he "hopes it will become mein kampf for the Hollyoaks generation".

That new Peel collection of articles is pretty good, a little disjointed but some very fine pieces in it.

The Dirt is the daddy of them all, though the Slash autobiography comes a close 2nd for sheer filth.

Also fantastic, "I'm with the band", by Pamela Des Barres, groupie extraordinaire.

I have to disagree about the Pamela Des Barre book. If you like reading about musicians, the process, touring etc then a tell-all book from a groupies perspective is a bit dull and Bunty-ish.

Shakey was terrific. Well informed and well told by the man himself.

Paul Trynkas Open Up and Bleed is similarly good. Well worth a read if you like Iggy/Stooges/the Detroit scene

I found this quite hard to get into so I sort of dip in and out of it occasionally. Has some interesting anecdotes about the growth of British pop.

512AACT4NFL._SS500_.jpg

I'd agree this is hard to get into because it's so wide-ranging and tries to cover anything, I'd recommend this one a million times though, basically covers his years managing Wham!

9780091897611.jpg

I'd also recommend this book over any Spector biography

alwaysmagic.jpg

my favs are

Rip It Up & Start Again - Simon Reynolds
White Bicycles - Joe Boyd
Theres a riot going on
The Colonel - Alanna Nash on Elvis' manager
Altered State - on the begining of rave and electronic music culture is probably the most inspiring music book i've ever read

auto-biogs

Miles Davis
Michael Jackson
Paul McCartney all good
Jon Peel's one is okay , but what got on my nerves with it was that 'self depracting' old la-de-da English style of writing both he and then his wife write in . After a while just did my head in and i stopped reading it .

i've never read it , hard book to track down but Howling At The Moon by Walter Yetnikoff is supposed to be great

my favs are

White Bicycles - Joe Boyd

i've never read it , hard book to track down but Howling At The Moon by Walter Yetnikoff is supposed to be great

i found white bicycles a very dry read. boyd lived and produced records in an incredibly interesting time and with some amazing people but he prose is very vacuum sealed and doesn't drip with any passion.:confused:

Howling at the moon is totally terrible - avoid!! :eek:

Are you joking? "Howling at the Moon" was great! Yetnikofs hilarious. Its the type of book where you wouldn't really care if its exaggerated slightly. Its a tell-all but he's very frank about his own life too.

His "business" relationship with Moris Levy alone is worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back