Music books recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Just started Bad Vibes by Luke Haines. Its hilarious and really well written, with deadly little references to the charts, music weeklies etc. For some reason it makes me think that if Nlgbbblth ever wrote a book, it would be this! Maybe its ghost written :)

hainesbiog.jpg

I just finished Ska'd For Life by Horace Panter. I liked but I'd imagine if you weren't a Specials fan it isn't a very entertaining read. There's a book about Jeff and Tim Buckley that I thought was great. I think it's called Dream Brother. I also liked Bob Geldof's autobiography Is That It?

Just started Bad Vibes by Luke Haines. Its hilarious and really well written, with deadly little references to the charts, music weeklies etc. For some reason it makes me think that if Nlgbbblth ever wrote a book, it would be this! Maybe its ghost written :)

hainesbiog.jpg

Best idea I've heard in ages.

Walter Yetnikoff - Howling at the Moon is one of the worst books I've ever read. Tabloid level writing. Terrible. Its not rare either, theres a pile of them for €1 in Chapters on Parnell Street, extremely overpriced.

Best music books:
This Band Could Be Your Life
Rip It Up & Start Again
Psychotic Reactions & Carbourateur Dung - Lester Bangs
STP: A Journey Through America with The Stones
Nick Kent - The Dark Stuff
That Independent Record Stores book has some great articles in it. The Byron Coley one in particular.
On Some Faraway Beach - Brian Eno biog
Can't Stop Won't Stop - Jeff Chang. Great history of hip hop and the geographic and subsequent social upheaval in NY caused by short sighted city planners.
Bass Culture: When Reggae Was King - Lloyd Bradley
Vinyl Junkies: Adventures In Record Collecting - Brett Milano
The Sound & The Fury: 40 Years of Classic Rock Journalism - Various
The Unforgettable Fire - Eamonn Dunphy :p

Alex Ross is the music critic for the New Yorker magazine who blogs prolifically at The Rest is Noise. And even though he doesn't have comments switched on at his site, his postings are required reading for anyone who wants to keep abreast of classical music - especially as seen from New York city.
His tastes and references are amazingly eclectic and unstuffy. One minute he's analysing the latest staging of the Ring Cycle and next he's reporting on developments in contemporary rock music or a recently discovered private recording of a John Coltrane radio broadcast. This is his long-awaited first book and major oeuvre as a critic, tracing the development of twentieth century classical music from the first night of Strauss's Salome (no accent) in 1905 to John Adams's Nixon in China in 1987.

He has an amazingly developed sense of cultural history- reminding us whilst discussing the development of Thomas Mann's traditional musical ideas in relation to Schoneberg that Leon Trotsky spent the years 1907 to 1914 in exile in Vienna where these modernist moves were being played out, alongside the work of Karl Kraus, Oskar Kokoshka, and Egon Schiele. He darts back and forth in time in a way which is at first bewildering, but there's a good reason for doing so - usually to show how far back cultural convergences began.
His narrative is spiced by what might be called the higher musical gossip. He slips in references and anecdotes which sparkle like gems on the page. Schoneberg's bon mot on his exile in California: 'I was driven into Paradise', and Charlie Parker spontaneously quoting from The Firebird when he spotted Stravinsky was in the audience at Birdland one night.
It's an approach which relies heavily on anecdote and cultural montage - but his juxtapositions are all backed up by scholarly references which are kept wisely at the back of the book, They don't encumber the narrative.
His descriptions of symphonies and major orchestral works are a mixture of technical analysis and an impressionistic account of what is going on:
In the last bars, the note B aches for six slow beats against the final C-major chord, like a hand outstretched from a figure disappearing into light.
Maybe the mixture is just about right. After all, it's difficult to write about music, which is essentially abstract. When you think about it, music doesn't mean anything, even though it can be incredibly moving and beautiful. Though that, of course, is meaning of a kind.
The Spirit of Schoenberg presides over the first part of the book: all other music seems to be measured against his purist ethos and practice. This phase ends with the premiere of Berg's Lulu in 1937. My only disappointment in this section was his account of Duke Ellington, which concentrated on his not-to-be-performed opera Boola and failed to bring out the element of small-scale symphonies or concertos which characterised much of his sub three-minute compositions for 78 rpm recordings.
In the second part, Shostakovich is let off the hook somewhat. As a way of explaining his capitulation to Stalinism, Ross describes him as having 'divided selves' - though to do him credit, Ross doesn't try to conceal the privileges he enjoyed (spacious Moscow flat with three pianos, for which he thanked Stalin personally) whilst his contemporaries were being led of to the Gulag or despatched with a bullet in the back of the head.
It's interesting to read of the style wars of the 1940s and 1950s with the benefit of half a century's hindsight. Major composers such as Stravinsky were being written off by people who are now forgotten - and it's even more amazing to read that the champions of atonal music and the concerts arranged to promote them were funded by the CIA.
Ross clearly has his heroes - Strauss (despite his Nazi associations) Schoenberg, and Stravinsky. And even though he may not have intended it, Pierre Boulez emerges from the narrative as a distinctly pushy, unpleasant piece of self-aggrandisement.
I was surprised that he took John Cage so seriously - somebody who has always struck me as completely bogus - but he gives a touching account of Aaron Copland, who suffered harassment and criticism in his own country during the McCarthy trials for his leftish sympathies, despite his having written such iconic evocations of America as Appalachian Spring and Fanfare for the Common Man
There's a whole chapter on Benjamin Britten, where I was glad to see that Ross doesn't shy away from the much-ignored fact that much of Britten's work deals with the sexual and emotional violation of young boys. He even reveals that Britten (in a Michael Jackson moment) took the juvenile star of his 1954 The Turn of the Screw (David Hemmings) into his own bed. But Ross's account of Britten is far from smutty. There's a several page long account of Peter Grimes which is the most extended musical analysis in the whole book.
He ends his narrative with an account of the American minimalists - the music still apparently split into two camps, but this time 'uptown' and 'downtown' - and he has a roundup of developments in Europe following the collapse of communism and the Berlin Wall. His story concludes with a part-wish, half-expectation that classical and popular music will somehow embrace each other in a way which will create new forms in the twenty-first century.
This is a very readable, indeed a compelling work which combines love of the subject with a detailed knowledge of its history and cultural context. It's the sort of book that makes you feel like reading with a piano keyboard to hand in order to follow the formal sequences and chord progressions he describes. Unmissable for anyone interested in twentieth century music.

Walter Yetnikoff - Howling at the Moon is one of the worst books I've ever read.

Best music books:

Psychotic Reactions & Carbourateur Dung - Lester Bangs

Nick Kent - The Dark Stuff

The worst music book I've read is this piece of shit

OP51524.jpg

An appalling hack job. Avoid. (Get fool the world instead)

The Nick Kent book is really good.

Lester Bangs completely over indulgent. You get to the end of a review and you still have no idea what the fucking album might be like.

Lester Bangs completely over indulgent. You get to the end of a review and you still have no idea what the fucking album might be like.

I like Lester Bangs, mostly because he's funny.

On the other hand, anyone ever tried to read Richard Meltzer? Oh God ...

I'm about halfway through Rip It Up and Start Again. I really like it. It's written in such a style that I want to find out more about nearly every act he talks about.

Has anyone here read Lipstick Traces? Supposed to be pretty great. Manics named their compilation after the book. I'm thinking about picking it up.

In a thread this length it may have been mentioned before but The Savage detectives by Roberto Bolano - on the strange adventures of a group of Mexican poets called the Visceral Realists is absolutely astonishing!

Tried his other one (2666) but didn't work as well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0374191484/?tag=thumpedcom-20

kp

Reading this at the moment - really interesting stuff. If nothing else i've learnt you wouldn't want to be caught with any grass in Texas during the 60's!

forgot to mention this before - it was a tv series since:

41V4X7A1P1L._SS500_.jpg

Howard Goodall writes about 5 breakthroughs in western music in the last thousand years; inventions that changed the world of music forever. His passion for the subject is contagious and some passages are truly inspired. The book is historically accurate and yet innovative in its approach. If you love music, you'll love this book.

Just started Everybody Dance: Chic and the politics of Disco. really good so far, including cool anecdotes of Nile Rodgers' boho life in greenwich village hangin' out with Hendrix et al in the late 60s early 70s, and being in A&E having a monster bad trip exactly when Ady Warhol was stretchered in after being shot by Valerie Solanas. You couldn't make it up.

Read that. Ssssss'good.

Reading Green beat : the forgotten era of Irish rock by Daragh O'Halloran at the mo. Good buuke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back